Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crazy Indicator

Options
  • 12-04-2007 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,
    Have a Peugeot 206, 00 wit 90k on the clock, except for the usuals like clutch,timing belt ive had no real major problems,most fixed in an hr or two but lately the left indicator keeps turning itself on and off!! Purely on its own! Checked all the fuses(i think) and still nothing!

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

it could be the switch itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ImaBM-man wrote:
    Hi,
    Have a Peugeot 206, 00 wit 90k on the clock, except for the usuals like clutch,timing belt ive had no real major problems,most fixed in an hr or two but lately the left indicator keeps turning itself on and off!! Purely on its own! Checked all the fuses(i think) and still nothing!

Any ideas??

OK, I was originally going to say that I'm almost sure that the problem here is the indicator relay switch, (as far as I know, its in with the fuses behind a panel under the steering wheel), but I read your mail again and you said that it was just the left side of the car that the indicator is acting up on, which makes me now think its the stalk/switch at the steering wheel. I'm not 100% sure but I think if it was the indicator relay switch, this component would effect the operation of both sides of the car and not just one side as is the case here... I had this problem recently where both indicators had a mind of their own, but it was on a VW Golf Mk 4, the problem was the indicator relay switch, (which on the Golf is incorporated into the hazard switch on the dash), replacing the hazard switch/indicator relay unit sorted the problem.

When you use the indicator stalk/switch to turn left and to turn right, goes the switch feel the same in each direction??? Do you feel that the switch is a bit rough or uneven when indicating to go left???

I'm 90% sure the problem here is in the indicator switch/stalk at the steering wheel, any second opinions?

ImaBM-man wrote:
    Hi,

Any ideas??

Wouldn't bother with the fuses, its certainly not the cause of the problem here. A fuse would only be worth checking if you were looking at or investigating a power loss situation to the indicator circuit. The fact that the indicator is switching on and off, albeit erratically, means your fuses are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

I have exactly the same problem, its driving me nuts. Been on to a few people about it, some of which think its the relay, some think its a short.

But we rang appleyard yesterday where the car was bought, explained the problem and that we'd heard there had been a callback on some 206's, and was the problem we're having connected to it? She said she didnt think so, that it was a faulty com unit that warranted the recall, and was "probably" unconnected. Even still, we pushed and they're gonna give it a quick check next week.

Then I found this...
    http://www.206info.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1093&highlight=indicator+comes

Really cant afford to replace the whole relay system so fingers crossed it is this com unit, and might even be replaced for free!

Very dangerous indeed tho, really has been a nightmare driving with this poxy problem. Cant wait to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

appologies for hi-jacking your thread:
    on a similar note a VW 97 polo i have the window washer squirter had a mind of its own for a month or so,coming on and off and now it has stopped.....but it doesn't work at all since. the wipers still work so does anyone know is it just a small relay to replace or a motor for the pump of the jets??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hey are the one that is always in front of me at the roundabouts?
    It all makes sense now ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

On the 206's; one of my friends had a battery light flicking on and off. Turned out that she had had a very tall passenger in the car who had accidentally kicked his foot up against the top of the kick panel (behind the glove box) and disconnected a couple of cables.

Could something similar have happened to yours? I know it sounds daft, but you never know...

I have exactly the same problem, its driving me nuts. Been on to a few people about it, some of which think its the relay, some think its a short.

But we rang appleyard yesterday where the car was bought, explained the problem and that we'd heard there had been a callback on some 206's, and was the problem we're having connected to it? She said she didnt think so, that it was a faulty com unit that warranted the recall, and was "probably" unconnected. Even still, we pushed and they're gonna give it a quick check next week.

Then I found this...
    http://www.206info.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1093&highlight=indicator+comes

Really cant afford to replace the whole relay system so fingers crossed it is this com unit, and might even be replaced for free!

Very dangerous indeed tho, really has been a nightmare driving with this poxy problem. Cant wait to get it sorted.

I saw this problem recently on a VW Golf Mk 4, BOTH indicators had a mind of their own and the problem was the indicator relay, which is incorporated within the hazard light circuit in that vehicle. In this case, it's a Peugeot 206 with a problem in ONE direction only. If the Op can find the indicator relay (I think its in with the fuses under the steering wheel), he/she could eliminate it as a problem maybe if he/she removed it and tested it.

Advertisement