Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another power problem

Options
  • 12-04-2007 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

But together my machine last night and hit the power button, had an "Its alive moment" for a second and then it died.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo with a 480w PSU.

Stripped the connections on the board down, reconnected everything, I believe the power SW and Reset SW where incorrectly connected. Now one of the front LED's flashs red and another flashes green, then dies again.

This is my first build so I'm kind of hoping I haven't caused a short somewhere. Any pointers about where I should be looking for a solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Firstly I would take your board out of the case and lay it on an antistatic bag with only the CPU/GFX/RAM installed and just short the pins where your power switch is connected to and see does it boot.

oh and just make sure that the bios jumper is in the correct position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

In work right now but, last night I removed gfx card, ram and turned on the machine with just cpu installed on the motherboard. sorted out the power switch. No life on the machine, LED flicking.

GreenHell wrote:
    No life on the machine, LED flicking.

Sounds like its shorting out

And what would be the root cause(s) and solution to that?

GreenHell wrote:
    And what would be the root cause(s) and solution to that?

the short maybe caused by the chassis and mainboard touching or a loose screw or something similar to that. To rule this out take your board out of the case and lay it on an antistatic bag with only the CPU/GFX/RAM installed and see will it boot.

• Advertisement

Ah very good, I think I know where the problem is now. Will report back tomorrow, thanks :)

Right, took out the board, plugged it in with GFX, RAM and CPU. Connected to PSU. Fired up with just the 20 pin connector plugged in, no such luck with ATX connecter plugged. So there is the problem, the ATX. MB broken?

GreenHell wrote:
    MB broken?

Yep sounds like you may have RMA the mainboard but just to be sure can you borrow a PSU or try your PSU in a mates rig? oh and what make is your PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Not sure about putting the mobo on the anti staic bag for tests I heard before that the bag actually conducts on the outside or something, try doing the build on a wooden table I'd say.

I had a power up like that before it was the 12V ATX power that was separate from the 20/24 pin ATX supply. It's another 4 pin power point mines near the CPU socket, but make sure its clearly said in the manual of the mobo and the PSU before putting in any other power plug.

Make sure that all power plugs are properly seated again I mad this mistake and it might not allow the PC to get to the POST stage. Also on the outside chance that you have too much thermal paste some can fall down next to the CPU and cause a short on the circuit board, I've heard a post or two on a couple of forums of this happening outside chance though.

good luck

Ya thats were the problem is alright, when the 12v connector is connected it won't power up. I've got RMA number now anyway so off away back it goes. Hope to god it hasn't damaged my CPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I normally place the board on the cardboard insert bits from its packaging when trying to diagnose stuff like this.

Advertisement