Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit Kitchen or Tiles first?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new Kitchen fitted and also marble tiles layed on the floor, does it matter what order they are fitted in? It has been suggested that I tile first then get the kitchen fitted on top of the tiles. This is more expensive as it requires more tiles.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Better option is to tile first, it will only take another couple of yards extra, but I suppose it is marble. But tiling first is a better option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevinp

Tile the complete floor first. If you do not tile under the units and you have a water leak at a later stage, the water will be trapped and will become stagnant and then the units have to come out again !

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

We asked the same question of our local tile-shop owner a few days ago. He is also a tiler with 40 years experience and very meticulous. He said most people just tile to underneath the plinth, including any island and he'd never seen any problems with that method. He said if you change your kitchen in the future, you'll usually change the floor too, and pointed out that it was cheaper. And that coming from a someone who sells tiles! In our kitchen, the area of units is 6 sq meters so we'll save about €300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Maybe you could consider a cheaper tile under the units, making sure they would not be visible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

If you are tiling to just past the plinth then maybe a bead of silicone sealant along the base of the plinth/kickboard would be an idea incase the washing machine/dishwasher floods?

• Advertisement
Advertisement