Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Boxer - HELP!!

Options
  • 12-04-2007 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All,

My Boxer is almost 2 years old. She has not been neutered due to the fact that I wanted to breed her just once this Summer with another Boxer when she goes into heat. Recently about 6-7 weeks ago when in heat another dog managed to get into my garden and get on her. Up to then I had been so careful when she was in heat and ahd only let her out to feed her for 10 minutes. I took her to the vet the very next day and had her injected to stop possible pregnancy but now I think she's very very pregnant. In the last couple of days she has gotten very swollen underneath. Her nipples have dropped and gotten very big and last night i noticed a very thick milky substance excreting from one of her nipples. I 've never had a dog with puppies before so I'm a bit stressed for myself and my dog!! The other dog was a pure breed cocker spaniel. I'm bringing her to the vet later today but based on the above can anyone tell how pregnant she is and also can anybody offer advise on what to do/expect?
    I had been preparing and researching and talking to breeders with the intention of breeding her in the Summer but I'm not prepared for this just yet and need some help.
    Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

No only the vet can tell at this stage

It may be too late now to spay her if it's been so long - you can still spay a bitch while she's pregnant - just makes the op a tad more complicated.

Once the pups are 8-9 weeks old please please make sure you don't do the free to good homes routine

Please ensure you visit and check out people wanting to adopt your puppies and MOST important ensure that the people adopting your puppies are willing and wanting to spay and neuter at 6 months old
    You've seen how easy it can be to get caught out :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Pseudopregnancy is another possible outcome; the hormonal cycle of a pregnant and non-pregnant intact bitch in the later part of the cycle is similar, and non-pregnant bitches may behave like a pregnant bitch for about 60 days and will lactate and adopt inanimate objects. The reason that they do this is because back when dogs and wolves lived in packs, the more dominant animals would mate but the females of the entire pack would be able to nurse the litter.

However the fact that her abdomen is swollen may indicate pregnancy. The vet can easily diagnose this for you.

You need to look after the needs of both mother and pups if she is pregnant. Nutrition is a very important area, and you should increase the feed intake of a pregnant bitch by about 15% every week from week 5 of pregnancy, so that at the time of whelping, she is eating 60% above maintenance needs. In early lactation she will need 3x maintenance! So you need to get some advice on her diet and have her properly diagnosed so that you can cater for her needs properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

Yeah sounds like it could just be a pseudopregnancy as Schlemm said, and that can include even the abdomen growing. Do you happen to know what treatment the vet gave to terminate the possible pregnancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

Hi All,

Took her the vet yesterday and she confirmed that my dog is due to give birth either today or tomorrow. A bit of a shock considering she only started showing symptoms this week. I think I'm all set now. Just a matter of wating and let nature take its course!!! Hopefully she'll have an easy labour with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good luck... hope it goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Mr.B wrote:
    Hi All,

Took her the vet yesterday and she confirmed that my dog is due to give birth either today or tomorrow. A bit of a shock considering she only started showing symptoms this week. I think I'm all set now. Just a matter of wating and let nature take its course!!! Hopefully she'll have an easy labour with no problems.

Best of luck you should get "rescue remedy drops" very good for pup s that are having hard time.Also dont give up on rubbing a pup to bring him back if he is very weak,a good rub and shoke upside down works a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Remember about increasing the energy levels of her diet; lactating bitches need 3x more than a normal bitch and a commercial formulation is your best option as it will be nutritionally balanced to meet her needs.

Here's what to expect...
    When she's whelping, expect an interval of about 30-60 mins between the pups, although delays of a few hours may be normal.
    The pups come out in a bag which she should break herself; if she doesn't, you have about 6 minutes before the pups will suffocate. Give her a bit of time and if she doesn't break the bag, do it yourself but don't stress her out.
    She will pass a placenta about 5-15 mins after each pup. Some bitches eat the placenta and this is normal, but if she's having a large litter and eats too many it can lead to a tummy upset. Make sure that she passes all her placentas because if she retains them, they can lead to infections and you should give the vet a call if this happens.
    Be careful if she's having a large litter and is whelping over a long period of time, as this can lead to eclampsia (low blood calcium). Signs to watch for are a decrease in interest in her pups, nervous and restless behavior and a stiff walk. This can occur from birth until the first 3 weeks of lactation.
    Another thing to watch for is mastitis, or inflammation of the mammary gland. Watch out for painful, hot, swollen mammary glands.
    Keep an eye on the pups and make sure that they are all drinking milk, if she has a very large litter you can split it up and let them nurse in shifts if some pups are going hungry. Watch out for weight changes and diarrhoea and pups that are constantly crying and hungry. Make sure that the mother is producing milk, if she's not you'll have get milk replacer.

Best of luck I hope it goes well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭craggel

Best of luck - hope all goes well. Keep us posted on how it goes and don't forget some piccies of the offspring!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

hey best of luck let us know hw it goes for ya.....thats great advice schlemm maybe it could added to the advice sheets....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

How did you get on with the birth hope mum and puppies are well any pics ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement