Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling beside wooden floor

Options
  • 12-04-2007 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi There, I am looking for some advise on tiling an area of my kitchen where it will meet a wooden floor.
    When the wooden floor was laid the fitter finished off at the area where the existing tiles start and he finished very nicely over the tile with a sloped (or ramped) piece of wood.
    Now it was always my intention to retile the tiled area with different tiles. What I am thinking of it tiling on top of the existing tiles to bring the floor level with the wooden floor. I want to trip the slope off the piece of wood he used to create the ramp and tile directly up to this at the same level.
    My questions are as follows:
    1) Is it possible to lay tiles on top of existing tiles?
    2) Do I need to put anything between the wood and the tile and if so, must it be one of those bridge pieces or is there something not as visible I can use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Tilling over tiles is fine, as long as there's nothing loose.

I have the same set-up in my house, i left a gap between the tiles and wooden floor(the same as the gap between the tiles) and grouted the gap.
    So, the two floors are at exactly the same level, not tripping over anything!

Only one problem, in the winter when the wooden floor shrinks, it show up a gap between the grout and wooden floor....about 2mm!

Hope that helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

u can but a brass runner in b and q to bridge the gap finishes it off well -lots of options it will say on pack tile to wood floor and will mask the shrinkage in winter also -sits under the timber and over the tile about 20 euros for a 2.5 metre strip i think -a few choices available not just brass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

KILRB wrote:
    1) Is it possible to lay tiles on top of existing tiles?

Just make sure you use flexible adhesive and should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

yep, we had similar situation, between tiled floor and laminate. Used a metal runner with a sticky back, bought in woodies i think. Looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

Thanks a lot for all the replies, very helpful as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you go to places like Brooks, you can get joiners or ramps that will do the job for you. A company called F2F makes them in all types and finishes

Advertisement