Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral - Opinion on issue!

Options
  • 12-04-2007 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Right german oral's next week. Whats everyone doing for the opinion on issue topics which cum up after the pic stories???? And how many questions do people rekon they normally ask on opinion on issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

umm, I'm just going over the picture stories in general and learning any vocab I've been missing. I'm confident enough to answer any questions on the day though.

Usually they would only ask one or two questions on that, but I guess it really does depend how much you speak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

You can't really tell what the examiner is going to ask you, so just look over some general vocabulary. The important thing to remember is that no oral examiner wants to hear you rhyming off complicated sentences you don't understand, especially if he/she asks you something else then and you don't understand his/her question. The best thing to do, I always found, was to have some good vocabulary and just answer the questions in your own way. At the end of the day, all you're doing is having a chat with the examiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Most of the questions relate to young people, eg alcohol, racism, homework, differences between german and irish schools, mobiles. Just learn of a couple of sentences for each and you should be grand. Apparently though you should try and get a conditional, a passive and a few past tenses in to the converasation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I did my LC last year, and I think the two most important things are: 1. Don't stress and 2. keep talking. If you just keep talking, they won't interrupt you, so know what you're going to say and stick to it and then it won't matter how many questions they ask, if you talk for 5 minutes in good german on one question they won't care. Even if you're german isn't the best, you really would be surprised at how well you can do if you keep a cool head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

dan719 wrote:
    Apparently though you should try and get a conditional, a passive and a few past tenses in to the converasation too.
    Well, at Higher Level, that would be more or less expected for a good grade.
    JoseJones wrote:
    If you just keep talking, they won't interrupt you, so know what you're going to say and stick to it and then it won't matter how many questions they ask, if you talk for 5 minutes in good german on one question they won't care.
    I don't think this is right. Most examiners will interrupt you, if they want you to talk about something else. I don't think you'll be let go on about the same topic ad nauseum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Ive got someone in my class from Germany and hes doing it for the leaving the lucky b*****d. And ironically enough hes a waster as well but hell still probably get more points just due to doing well in higher level German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

I suppose there is no real way of guessing but what I've been told is if you're German's not really up to scratch, you seem like you don't know the picture sequences or seem very under confident the type of questions you'll be asked are along the lines of "Describe his bedroom" or "What's that on the wall?"

On the other hand of you do a good job I have a handfull of general vocal prepared. For "Aufenhalf in Deutchland", a bit about holidays in germany, underage drinking. "Handys in Schule Verboten" some stuff about mobile phones usage. "Weinachtszeit", some vocab on the homeless, the differences between german and irish christmasses. "Zusammen sind wir stark" is more obvious, stuff on racism and exclusion. Lastly, I can't remember the name of the fifth one, the one where in the first picture there's a guy riding home on a bike, I just prepared some stuff on computers and homework in general.

Advertisement