Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good search app

Options
  • 12-04-2007 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,
    I'm wondering if anybody could suggest some search programs to me. I'm building a site in php/sql and trying to search through the db. I've tried using wa ecart search but it doesn't seem the best. When you search something like "paper" it will give lots of results including things like "paperback" & "paperbook".

Hopefully there's something opensource out there but if you know something else let me know :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

you can easily create it yourself, either direct query or using the mysql indexing.
    Any programs out there will be way too much or not exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Thanks for that Louie, I was thinking of creating one but just wanted to see if there was a quicker (premade) option out there.

Cheers for the reply.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The quickest way might be to just include a google search on your site (assuming the pages are indexable by Google)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

That's a good idea, but then again I wouldn't be too keen on waiting for google to index all the pages as it's a completly new site with 15000+ products to search.

Thanks for the idea though :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you want to create your own search tool then you will also need a way to filter out HTML results (assuming your data contains HTML formatted entries), e.g. if someone was searching for a kitchen table or whatever.
    Im sure something is out there that can be hacked for your use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement