Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabling and components need for a Projector install on self-build house

• 12-04-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    seems to be plenty of expertise knocking around the boards so am looking for advice, if possible on what i need for installing a projector.
    currently at the blocking stage for our house. so am looking into all the possibilities of networking, etc.

I hope to install a projector in the sitting room, there seems to be some good HD options out there at the moment (something i will worry about when i move in to the house!).
    So as to future proof for when this time comes around I am putting together what cables i need to bring from the Sky box / surround sound system to the point on the ceiling where the projector will be.

so far i have thought of this:
    1. electrical socket on the ceiling for the projector.
    2. 15 metres of HDMI cable (male /male)
    3. 5-RCA Component Video Cable (15 metres or so again)
    4. VGA cable (15 metres or so)

the last 3 cables would be run across the ceiling, down the wall to the unit holding the sky (HD, if the good missus lets me!) box / surround sound system / PS3 etc.

I will be putting in hollowcore flooring so it might be best to anchor the bracket for the projector to the hollowcore before the ceiling goes up.
    where could you get a good bracket for this?

i would have multiple surround sound points buried in the walls also so that i could be flexible with the position of the telly and projector.

any advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

electrical socket on the ceiling for the projector - OK

15 metres of HDMI cable (male /male) - You can purchase a 20m HDMI cable from www.keene.co.uk

5-RCA Component Video Cable (15 metres or so again) - Don't know if you can get Component Video Cable that length, again try www.keene.co.uk but this is easy to make yourself. If you are making this cable, get mini coax RG59 cable ( easy to work with ) and purchase good spec goldplated RCA connectors. Radionics can supply these parts.

VGA cable (15 metres or so) - Purchase a good quality shielded VGA cable.

Most people who invest in costly AV equipement, never purchase good quality cables. It is recommended that you spend up to 10% the cost of the system on cables.

You got pretty much everything covered there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

cheers buzzard for that.

to make it tidy, I was also thinking of a wall plate for the HDMI connection.

Any one have ideas on brackets for the ceiling? as the ceiling is suspended, it will have to go through the slabbing and on to the hollowcore. have also seen this on ebay. has plenty of length and can be adjusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

For a HDMI face plate. Keene sell one.

Advertisement