Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Determining type of language

Options
  • 12-04-2007 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I've being asked to update one of my companys legacy products (Long term we are replacing.)

The problem is all we have is the .exe of the application. We don't even know what language it was written in. We have no idea where the source code is (Although I'm hoping someone still has it).

Is there anyway from a .exe I can determine the language it was written in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi dent,
    You could try looking at the file with a hexadecimal editor, hedit is one that would do it. A lot of the time if an executable is written in c++ you will see some info about header files that has been left in the code, or you'll usually see the compiler name which should give you a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Would knowing what language it was in help in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Hi dent,
    You could try looking at the file with a hexadecimal editor, hedit is one that would do it. A lot of the time if an executable is written in c++ you will see some info about header files that has been left in the code, or you'll usually see the compiler name which should give you a clue

Thanks radioactiveman I'll try that :)

bonkey wrote:
    Would knowing what language it was in help in any way?

Of course, might give me a clue to what department/developers originally coded it and lead me to the precious source code. Also give me a clue of how I'm going to integrate it with a Java environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Unless it was BatchExe Compiled code knowing what the original language was will be no help to you at all. Even if you can get a decompiler for it they generally don't give you anything great that could be worked with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Unless he finds out it was in fortron and there was only 1 fortron developer to ever work with the company ;) Then he might be able to track down that dev and wrangle the source code from him.

Just a quick update. After numerous emails and a trail that led almost to our CEO (Seems he was one of the original programmers) I have tracked down the source code.

Turns out it was written in C. Anyone know a good Free C -> Java convertor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dent wrote:
    Turns out it was written in C. Anyone know a good Free C -> Java convertor?

IMO, forget it. All you will end up with here is one large class file that encompasses the entire program. Sounds like a decent rearchitecture is called for.

Advertisement