Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Touring or Audi A4 Avant

Options
  • 12-04-2007 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

I am trying to decide at the moment between a BMW 3 Series Touring and an Audi A4 Avant, 2003/2004.

Does anyone here have either of these cars or have any opinions on which is better or if both are crap.

Is there something else, along the same style that I should consider. I don’t want an SUV and I don't like the volvo or Saab estates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The question is, what do you need the estate to do, other than look good?

Because when it comes to proper estate jobs (shopping in Ikea, carrying the Irish Wolfhound, etc) neither of them are particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

peasant wrote:
    The question is, what do you need the estate to do, other than look good?

Because when it comes to proper estate jobs (shopping in Ikea, carrying the Irish Wolfhound, etc) neither of them are particularly good.

I need a car with a decent sized boot to accomodate all the items associated with travelling any distance with children including a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unless you're carrying more than one buggy, you should be alright then.

I'll leave the others to fight out which one is better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just one thing to note the back seat in the A4 is small - might be a bit of a pain getting the child(ren) in and out of car seats. Drove an A4 Avant 2.0d on a business trip recently - it was nice, other than the tight back seat.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

Neither are crap. Which one did you like better? Have you test driven both?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

fits wrote:
    Neither are crap. Which one did you like better? Have you test driven both?

I have driven a BMW touring before and liked it, then I saw the A4 and thought it was a very nice looking car, but haven't test driven one yet. It is things like what PaddyFagan said about the A4 Avant having not that much room in the back that I was wondering about and any other considerations that can't be found out from just a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just thinking an A6 might be another option - I know this is an 2002, but it looks like good value to me:

http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=637425

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

To be fair these are two premium brand mid sector estates - neither would be a bad car, nor would either be the worlds greatest load lugger. ( form over function here )

Personally I also think they are both the best looking variant in the range.

Best to drive both - I suspect the BMW to be the better drivers 'B' road car but for day to day life I would say theres not much in it. Probably more to do with the specific cars you find than with A4 vs 3 series.

My dad is looking at a 320d at the moment - very impressive - makes the case for my petrol 2.2 seem less strong. (except in convertible versions):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Have driven, and been driven in the 3 series estate. Nicer car. Prefer the looks of the A4. The A4 saloon has poorish rear legroom, and it seems the avant has the same issue. However if you are loading a child into a fixed forward facing car seat, the legrom is hardly an issue.

It is probably worth noting that my megane Estate has a bigger boot than the 3 series estate. So if it is space you are after, maybe you should consider widening your options.

Advertisement