Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Local Authorities delivering, do they need reform?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I dont believe Local Authorities are delivering value for money to the electorate.Have they the resources and know how to deliver and maintain public infrastructure and services.I dont think so.I think they re is a lack of professionalism and accountablity.
    I see things everyday that frustrate me because the local authorities arent delivering.Local roads a mess, poorly planned towns,foot paths in ****e, litter rampant, no traffic management plans.The impression i get is many councillors are too busy rezoning land they have bought themselves or have a share in to make money for themselves and they dont care about the greater good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

i agree are those guys paid money? Anyone can see the planning process is on its knees. Might not be a problem once people stop buying houses tho. Just had a baby and you notice the footpaths are a disgrace. The whole country is a basketcase as far as I can see. Roads, water, planning, telecoms. the two things the country have are good people and plenty of dough. FF out lets give someone else a chance. Not that I believe FG will be any better. Plenty of talk but no specific plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ulster9

Just had a baby and you notice the footpaths are a disgrace. The whole country is a basketcase as far as I can see. Roads, water, planning, telecoms. the two things the country have are good people and plenty of dough. FF out lets give someone else a chance. Not that I believe FG will be any better. Plenty of talk but no specific plan.

Agree with you here.I see very little improvement if any in fact i would say the town i live in was in better shape 20 years ago.Money is being wasted and thats the worst of it.About 3 years ago the footbaths in my town were all paved nicely but the contractor who did the job made a balls of it and they are all broken up.If the council was doing its business right they would have them back to redo the job or sue them.Its pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What angers me is the blantant self-interest going on.
    Ask yourself, where were you local councillors for St. Patricks Day?
    Two of mine were in New York on a junket but justified it by saying they were trying to make contacts and attract multinationals to our area. I thought this was the job of IDA Ireland, who in fairness do an excellent job.

And if it is a working holiday, why did they bring their wives and partners. All this paid for by rate-payers.
    This sort of thing goes on many constituencies.:mad:

Mods, I willing to back up anything I've said here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

No they're not.

Try getting accurate statistics from Dublin City Council about the numer of KM of Cycle Track they built as part of the 'Strategic Cycle Network', that actually conforms to the DTO and statutory specifications they were required to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having been to London a number of times over the past couple of years, I can safely say that SDCC and DCC are a complete disgrace. Like many of those in the public sector, people in the councils are just there because it's a cushy number. Job performance, efficiency and innovation mean nothing to these departments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

The Green Party has some interesting policies on local government reform. Check them out here

Advertisement