Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Water 2 for price of 1 (Rip Off)

Options
  • 12-04-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Went into local supermarket today to get my free water, But 1 get 1 free, THis scheme was announced last nite at city council. usually buy 5 litre bottle at a time, yesterdays price for said bottle €2.50 ;), todays price €2.89, :mad:

Should i name this local supermarket????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Go on - name and shame! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Dont think it starts (buy 1 get 1 free) until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

daveg wrote:
    Dont think it starts (buy 1 get 1 free) until tomorrow.

Clearly Marked on Shelf Galway Water buy 1 get 1 free

Name and shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm with the masses on this one!

• Advertisement

Supervalue Ballybane (Nestors)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

paconnors wrote:
    Supervalue Ballybane (Nestors)
    Sure they're a bunch of cowboys anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Supervalu in general are rubbish! from my experiences with staff in Fr. Griffin Road's branch...

If its the same tomorrow you should ring into galway bay fm and name and shame them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Keith Finnegan is yer man, ring up early.

(especially if they increased the price from 2.50 to 2.89 meaning its ACTUALLY buy one and THEN actually get 0.84 bottle free and someone is guilty of false advertising to boot )

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is still a bit costly

Buy 1 get 1 free of Galway Water @2.50/5l = 25c a litre

Dunnes/Tesco water = 17c litre

There are other versions available cheaper than 25c a litre too.

I expected a bit more than this pathetic move from the council, maybe vouchers or receipt rebates for the public since it's such a basic resource that everybody uses and the council is supposed to provide clean water.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Yeah, and the deal is only for Galway Spring brand, which I think tastes awful. I've been avoiding that and buying other brands wherever possible.

And isn't the deal only for shops in the city? What about the rest of us poor saps in the rest of county who can't drink the tap water? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You're expected to pay your water scheme charges promptly and in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Huh? :confused:
    I don't pay "water scheme charges". I get water from Claregalway's supply which is contaminated.

Why should I have to pay more for bottled water in my local shop than people in the city who are getting 50% free?

Has the ballybane supervalu lowered their prices, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Even the two for €2.50 aint that good a deal, works out basically €1.25 each

Tesco are selling "Crystal Spring" 5.0 Ltrs bottle for a Euro.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Believe it yay or nay, but that offer ain't subsidised at all by anyone. It's Galway Water offering it. Nobody else giving them money to do so, no distributers or supermarkets or nowt.

[edit] But that's not to say that Nestors or anyone else didn't up the charges to capitalise on the goodwill of Clada. They're just money grubbing *****. They're buying it in at the same price as normal.

Actually the get one free offer is subsidised by the Council, our taxes.
    Each time you buy a 2 litre or 5 litre container of Galway Irish Spring Water at one of these city outlets, you will be entitled to the equivalent amount free, compliments of Galway City Council.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/MainBody,3649,en.html

On another note, if you bring your empty 2l and 5l bottles to Tesco today and tomorrow, you can have them refilled free by Irish Crystal Water - saw the notice instore last night.

Good find, but I'm afraid that's just wrong. The financial burden is wholly on GW, not the council.

• Advertisement

Then why are'nt Clada taking advantage and using the free publicity that all this free stuff they are giving would generate ?
    Phone Clada on 706600 to find out who's paying!

Also the City Council are tendering for other water suppliers to enter the BOGOF scheme where it clearly states that the financial burden of the free product will be borne by the Council.

have to agree with lsat poster there why would galway water give it out for free, when there is money to be made with the water problem at the moment they are probally giving galway city council a discount, but they are not giving it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Even the two for €2.50 aint that good a deal, works out basically €1.25 each
    Good arithmatic :D

THey already have full page ads in the advertiser touting the cleanliness of the water, but to answer your q, I don't know why they're not pushing the fact that they're taking the burden of it. But that info is from the mouth of the biggest horse out in Clada, if the euphemism still sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Are Tesco refilling 5 and 2 litre bottles for free on 3 days of the week? Saw a notice but we get our water from a well so I didnt take much notice...

Advertisement