Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Hand car market dead????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

my rule of thumb is 4k p.a. for a car, excluding servicing. Using that rule, fr'instance, my asking price for my sig is considerably below this, but the market is still godawful slow.

[Hijack]...oth, bought a spanking new Galaxy last Wednesday :D oth, had to get it towed yesterday, at 937kms... turbo boost pipe split.. :( Damn, so much for the new-car-never-goes-wrong-theory............ [/Hijack]

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Biro wrote:
    A big problem is that every second flute is off to England now to buy cheap and park on the side of the road here to make a profit. They're single handedly flooding the market.

Why is that a problem let alone a big one?

Buying cheap, or making a profit is a good thing - 'shop around', competition is good, keep downward pressure on inflation etc.

Makes the other shop-local half of the 'flute' population look either lazy or foolish with their money to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Car prices on cbg.ie and carzone.ie have always been too high. People think that with a few glossy photos etc (rather than a one liner in Buy & Sell) they'll get more. I have often seen the same car in B&S and on carzone where it's cheaper in B&S. I've even tried this myself (and had no calls from the cbg advert).

Anything will sell if the price is right. If you have a car on carzone for a month and you've had no calls, it's too dear. And no-one else selling the same car for the same price has had any calls either.

Worryingly the Revenue seem to be looking at these web sites when they invent the OMSP: My wife's '03 Civic IMA is worth €2,500 more now than what is was when she imported it a year ago.:eek: How they arrived at that price is beyond me, as her's is the only '03 in the country as far as we are aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

galwaytt wrote:
    yes, yes, but the fact of it is, they still use it, and it does have some effect, especially if unchecked. Also, on modern cars, a lot of worry areas are hidden behind acres of plastic bumpers, etc, so it's not that obvious. Case in point: a local 01 imported Zafira here, once up on the lift............it'd give you the shivers - it was atrocious with rust on the bottom front valance, etc.

It's very obvious if you buy a motorbike over there, as there's nowhere to hide the damage, and exposed components take an absolute hammering. 1 winter, unchecked, can completely destroy the brake calipers.

Problem is, we migrate to priced cars (aka cheaper), and there's always a catch. If you're bringing in a car that's just 3 yrs old or something, it would be good, as it simply hasn't spent enough time on the road to be unduly affected.

You just need to be careful, that's all.

As for the general market question........I'm living proof, see my sig.........:p

Totally agree....when I was car shopping last year I drove a 99 Yaris at the uncle's place that his partner had bought near Belfast...went back with my dad, he drove it and thought it was grand and saw my uncle...he looked at a report on the car...said give him 2 mins...spoke to a mechanic. He came back and told me for what I was willing to spend I could buy the car...but not bring it near NCT standard....the whole chassis was fu*ked from salt corrosion at 107k miles. The mechanic said it'd probably work out about a grand dearer than getting a top spec Irish model with half the mileage.

Basically it was a trade job and that's why a top spec car was below market value.

If it look, walks and quacks like a duck, chances are that it's a f*c*ing duck.

Many dealers overprice cars to give the impression of a good deal when haggling. And if some mug buys it at asking price all the better

Advertisement