Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registrars e mail

• 12-04-2007 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an e mail address for the registrar??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

registrar@ucd.ie probably works, or maybe firstname.lastname@ucd.ie for whoever the registrar is. UCD connect has a searchable list of everyone in the college in the email client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Registrar's Office homepage: http://www.ucd.ie/registrar/

Email the Registrar's Office at: communications.registrar@ucd.ie

Modularisation and Semesterisation website: http://www.ucd.ie/modularisation.htm

Student desk: Tel extn 1554. Email: studentdesk@ucd.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Thanks, I tried communications.regristrar and registrar - hopefully one of them works.

UCD outdo themselves again....we are going to get a finalised exam less then two weeks before our exams

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

padser wrote:

UCD outdo themselves again....we are going to get a finalised exam less then two weeks before our exams

What do you mean? I dont follow? Sounds bad though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Exam timetable... He meant exam timetable. woo... -_-

• Advertisement

That's madness. When were the timetables released for the Christmas Exams? Was it 2 weeks before as well?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

padser wrote:
    Thanks, I tried communications.regristrar and registrar - hopefully one of them works.

What's the point? Surely you know by now that you'll be patted on the head and shrugged off with some excuse about how it's for the good of the students that we're put through living hell with each and every operation of the administrative authorities.

I've had reason to email the admins about 12 times in the past year or so, and do you think I was even closely satisfied? even once? No chance. They're like the fucking Vogons around here. The Vogons were better at prose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

Its terrible! I say we go on strike and not study for our exams!

Who's with me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I've had reason to email the admins about 12 times in the past year or so, and do you think I was even closely satisfied? even once? No chance. They're like the fucking Vogons around here. The Vogons were better at prose though.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one sending regular e mails b1tching at them. In this case I particularly like the touch of blaming the delay on complaints last semester about clashes....pretty much trying to make out its our fault they cant get their act together.

Anyway got a response from two of the three e mails I sent (course co-ordinator and registrar - nothing from Students Union yet). Usual cr@p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah its ridiculous the way they're fobbing us off with spin. The Education Officer is doing pretty much the same thing, giving out to them by phone and email. He talked to the Registrar who promised to put his 'foot down'.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Chakar wrote:
    I got one of the emails from the VP of Students. One of the competitions Locked Out is driving me up the wall.

How the hell do I solve it?
    What the fcuk are you posting that in this thread for?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Some of the crap I've gotten back would curl your hair. There is something ironically infuriating about being talked down to by an intellectual pygmy, and having the dynamics of the situation dictate that you must accept it as if they spoke wisdom, as if the air/ink they'd used hadn't been wasted, as if the whole sorry project of human endeavour hadn't been made incrementally worse by their being alive, and taken seriously. Truly, success in happenstance is indifferent to virtue in man.

I'd love to have 10 minutes with the registrar and the president. The gas chambers would be a kindness to them, after I was finished with them. From afar, though, I wish on both of them the most unkind of deaths.

My thoughts exacltly

This is the danger of letting academics run processes that need practical brains.

The problem for us - as far as I see it - is that we can't properly plan out our time-scale for studying each subject. This means that we have to cover everything in preparation for the first day of exams. After all, we could have any one of a number of exams on that day.

Conceiveably, however unlikely, we could have all exams within the first week. If that were to transpire for me, I would have to have six subjects prepared in full in four week's time. Given that I am half way through only the first of these six, the likelihood of me covering everything is approaching zero.

Now, if I was to contact the administration about my predicament, I would predict a response along the lines of, "well, you should have everything covered by then anyway". A typical response from an academic. Yes, in theory I should have everything covered. Practically, though, I would imagine that the number of people who are able to cover everything before zero hour would be close to 5% of the population of the student body sitting exams in the summer.

Aside from the fact that 95% of students are inherently disorganised, the new timetables should have been fully sorted out before they implemented semesterisation across the board. It wouldn't have been that difficult either. I mean, I'm fairly confident that given a couple of weeks, I could write a programme that would sort out the logistics of the exams, without clashes - and I'm a law student with very limited skilz.

Instead, the administration pisses about - mocking us and our endeavours to become qualified so that we can get jobs that are better than theirs - delaying our progress at each turn.

Every time I hear the words "UCD administration" or a synonymous phrase, my blood boils. Why should that be? Is it the same in other universities?

Monkeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I sit on Academic Council, + well we were fobbed off with the excuse that it's as there are some modularised students and some non-modularised. A pile of poo, but there are saying that the situation will be a lot better next year (here's me holding my breath...)

Anyway the final day for exams is the 2nd of June, or so Phil said, if that helps anyone with flight booking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

ha trying being a Special Needs Clash Student and see how you get treated. t

The grief I had with my Christmas exams was only exacerbated by a letter I recieved from the registrar two and a half months after I wrote to him telling me it wasnt the Universitys fault that they had to make arrangments for students who disgracefully mocked the exam system by having clashes in their timetable.

:rolleyes:

It seems that the administration actually do have contempt for students. Believe me, we received the same idiotic and patronising treatment for the past four years - not saying ye deserve it, but the idiots are well practised at it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

It has definitely gotten worse though. I'm fairly sure we had exam timetables earlier than 3 weeks before exams started last year and the year before.

Advertisement