Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Laptop CPU

Options
  • 12-04-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm a student filmmaker and as I travel a lot, I use my laptop for editing. I use Avid programs which drain a lot of resources. Plus to edit HD footage, especially when rendering, speed can take hours of a full footage render. As I'm no expert with CPUs or modding, I just wanted to find out the cost and effort of upgrading. If I posted my specs, could someone suggest what CPU can be stuck in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

reidyg wrote:
    I'm a student filmmaker and as I travel a lot, I use my laptop for editing. I use Avid programs which drain a lot of resources. Plus to edit HD footage, especially when rendering, speed can take hours of a full footage render. As I'm no expert with CPUs or modding, I just wanted to find out the cost and effort of upgrading. If I posted my specs, could someone suggest what CPU can be stuck in?

If maybe you post us the lapto make and model, and what specs you currently have we will be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reidyg

It's a Dell Precision M65.
    Centrino Duo T2400 @ 1.83 ghz,
    FSB 666Mhz,
    L1 Data Cache 2 x 32 Kb,
    L2 Cache 2048 Kb,
    Board Model 0JF242,
    Chipset i945PM Rev. 03,
    2 x DDR2 1024 Mb RAM 333 Mhz,

Is there anything else I should include? Any help would be grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

From what i can tell that model can also be shipped with a t5500 which means you might be able to upgrade the cpu. Your best bet is to ring or email dell to get a difinitive answer. As i cant seem to find one online.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

M65 Processor compatibility list:

**Core 2 Duo
    1.66 GHz
    1.83 GHz
    2.0 GHz
    2.16 GHz
    2.33 GHz

**Core Duo
    1.67 GHz
    1.83 GHz
    2.0 GHz