Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X - FACTOR 2007. Any hopeful Boardsie's?

• 12-04-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

So the X-FACTOR auditions start in about 2 weeks time.

The show wont be holding auditions in the Republic this year, with the closest audition to home taking place in Belfast.
    Also the age limit has dropped to 14, providing anyone under 16 has their parents consent.

I was just wondering, are their any Boardsie's out there who have auditioned in the past? Or are planning to audition this year?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The stopped doing it here because your man Brendan from Palemerstown kept turning up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I was just wondering, are their any Boardsie's out there who have auditioned in the past?

I was going to but winning it would leave me with little time to post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I have been googling like crazy to try find a forum where hopeful contestants discuss their experiences, but haven't really found much to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You gonna be auditioning Mrs Doyle?

Yeah, I will if they let me. I sent off an application form a couple of months ago, but I have yet to hear anything back.
    I have looked at a couple of other forums and it would appear that people stated to get their audition letters about a week ago, so hopefully I'll receive one soon.

I know that people on Boards probably think the X-FACTOR is a bit naff, but I really don't think I have anything to lose by trying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    I have been googling like crazy to try find a forum where hopeful contestants discuss their experiences, but haven't really found much to be honest.

The forum you seek is digital spy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If by hopeful you mean that this show and all of its ilk are suddenly pulled off the air in a brief moment of common sense hitting television execs...

Then no. No I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

If by hopeful you mean that this show and all of its ilk are suddenly pulled off the air in a brief moment of common sense hitting television execs...

Then no. No I'm not.
    So you <3 the x-factor then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

suddenly pulled off the air in a brief moment of common sense hitting television execs...

I am not a fan of these shows. As a matter of fact, I hate ALL reality TV.

But, the money that these shows generate is mind boggling, ( http://tinyurl.com/yqtxrp ). So to say that it would be common sense to terminate them is quite far from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kels

i want to but dont no how x

• Advertisement

kels wrote:
    i want to but dont no how x

Hi!
    Well I'm afraid you have missed the deadline for applications, but don't worry!
    According to the X Factor website, there will be one open audition held in London, and you will be able to attend this without applying in advance.

Let me know if you need any more info,

Audrey x

TAKEN FROM THE FOLLOWING FORUM: http://forum.unrealitytv.co.uk/index.php?board=10.0

I am a full time professional singer/songwriter with a career over 20 years.
    I have my own band and have played all over the world. Alongside my own album releases and gigs I have worked with the spice girls, kylie minogue and others.
    Recently I did a 50 date European tour as lead singer with a well-known band
    supporting jamiroquai and joss stone.

I also provide singing workshops for schools, universities and the prince’s trust.

Young vocalists are always asking me about the x factor and what do I think of it so I thought I would enter myself to get an insight into the fascinating world of the countries largest talent search.

We all know it’s about TV viewing figures, and that requires a mixture of the crazy and interesting, but the x factor also claims to be a genuine singing competition so you would hope to expect a proper, respectful audition process.

I have a lot of respect for Simon cowell and his team and wanted to believe that this opportunity to sing in front of him is worth giving a try.

Well, the day came, last Thursday actually, and I found myself standing outside the emirates stadium with thousands of other people waiting for our auditions.

I arrived at 10.30 am and at about 1pm I was registered. It then got really weird as over the next hour or so we were bullied into taking part in opening crowd shots for the TV show.

Now I did expect this but didn't realise I would be forced to take part if I didn't want to.

Eventually myself and a few others formed a little splinter group and
    tried to stay at the back only to be shouted at over a megaphone to join in!!

it was horrible! Anyway, eventually we got in and then it all moved pretty
    Quickly.

Now, I have a lot of experience in these situations so I a) didn't
    expect to be auditioned by anyone with any experience, at this stage it was obviously going to be an a and r assistant from the record company or something and b) didn't expect to get through (being over 35 and confident in my ability).

I was right. I went into a room containing a 20 year old, bored looking guy. I immediately wondered what I was even doing there but as I had come this far etc, etc......

I introduced myself and began to sing Lets Stay Together. He didn't
    look at me but was reading a text message on his mobile phone!!! I actually stopped singing, as it seemed a ridiculous situation to be in! Of course he told me the answer was no and I just laughed and thanked him anyway!

It was truly the most belittling, cheap experience I have had in my career. Made worse by the fact that a sixty something, crazy woman who came out after me was put through!!!!

(She will make good TV!!)

I don't know what to say really...I tried to make comment on the camera they provide for comments but wasn't allowed to.
    What a rip off!! As I said I didn't expect anything from this but went really hoping to be proved wrong but unfortunately I was right.

I am mostly upset at the fact that there were some really talented singers there yesterday who didn't
    make it through.

I truly hope that they do not think this is the only way into
    the world of music...I did it the old fashioned way.
    Endless gigs etc, and music has given me a fantastic life, travelling, meeting great people etc.

For those who didn't get through these ridiculous so called auditions...don't give up!

If you truly have talent you will achieve your dreams, its true that the cream always rises to the top.

The x factor is a numbers game. They need a certain number of a certain type of person, ie. A number of groups, crazy/entertaining
    people etc. if they have already reached their target you will not be chosen no matter how good you are.

It is definitely not a true talent search. Music is a
    wonderful, emotional thing that this sad, unfriendly world has never needed more.

Have faith in your abilities and please, please don't lower yourselves to
    the depths of feeling rejection from someone who has no real knowledge of your art.

Sure, if you want to go with an open mind then good luck to you but in reality there is as much chance of being 'spotted' as winning the lottery! I wanted to post this to show an insight into the experience, maybe to help those wishing to audition to make an informed decision, but most of all to put it in perspective for all truly talented, aspiring singers out there! Get yourselves down to a singer/open mike night, just sing at any opportunity.

This is the way to truly make contacts in the music business and develop your talent further. Regarding the contract you are asked to sign at the auditions, please READ THE SMALL PRINT and get it looked at by a person in the know if you can, BEFORE you sign it.

The people behind this show are very, very shrewd in covering themselves, make sure you do the same... all in all, it was like a day out at a really, really annoying holiday camp, one I shall never visit again!!

WOW! Well, after reading that I am very doubtful that I even stand a chance of getting through.

I'm just not 'weird' enough, by all accounts!

Obviously some truly talented people DO get through, Leona is a prime example, but it does seems as though they reject you based on a number of things, that have little or nothing to do with talent.

For years I trained as a Sean Nos singer. For those of you who don't know what that is, its a style of old Irish singing, and not at all compatible with the X-Factor style.

I was planning on singing a pop/soul/commercial number in my audition, however, I am starting to think that if I want to stand a chance of getting through the first round I should just go ahead and sing an old Irish song, and pray that they put me through based on the 'weird' factor!

What do you guys think? If I managed to get through I could always sing a more commercial song at a later date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

Would go an do the Sean Nos singing as you would stand out more and would also be more true to yourself and like was said in the article above don't let it totally upset you if you don't get picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Hey Mrs Doyle,

Hadn't come across this thread before. I'm auditioning in Manchester next Tuesday. After reading that review, I'm a little bit bothered as well. Feck it, I'll go and see what happens anyway. Where are you auditioning?

Hey Mrs Doyle,

Hadn't come across this thread before. I'm auditioning in Manchester next Tuesday. After reading that review, I'm a little bit bothered as well. Feck it, I'll go and see what happens anyway. Where are you auditioning?
    Well I hope to audition in Belfast, and those auditions are not being held till July.
    What made you pick Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    What made you pick Manchester?

For me, Belfast is the guts of a 4 hour drive whereas Knock Airport is half an hour from me and an hours flight so it's much easier for me to head to Manchester. My audition time is between 9 & 12 next Tuesday morning. I'm thinking of heading to the hotel where it's on at about 7 so as to get registered as early as possible. Call backs (if I get through) are 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th of June.

Ah I see. Dunno what they plan on doing if any of the Belfast candidates get through. Can't imagine there would be much time for a 2nd audition at that stage.
    Have you taken a look at the forum I linked in the first post? Lots of info and feedback from other hopefuls there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It's a bit pointless allowing 14 year olds to enter when they always eventually kick decent the 16 year olds out because they're not yet mature enough to deal with the fame etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

flogen wrote:
    It's a bit pointless allowing 14 year olds to enter when they always eventually kick decent the 16 year olds out because they're not yet mature enough to deal with the fame etc.

14 year olds are more emotionally unstable? That's a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mossy Monk wrote:
    14 year olds are more emotionally unstable? That's a guess.
    Making children cry makes for good television at ITV. Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That would be their kind of thing. Ratings ratings ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

I LOVE the x factor! Good luck to those of you auditioning. It does seem to be a crazy process though. I was slightly dismayed by Ben Elton's book - Chart Throb - which is loosely based on the X factor. Based on a lot of truths about the behind the scenes process supposedly. Made me cynical about it all, but know I'll still end up watching x factor.

Advertisement