Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N73 and GPS software

• 12-04-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone set up GPS SW for the N73. Can it be done and if so what SW is the best.
    I am currently looking into TomTom6 or route66 but I am not sure what to go with. Do either give maps for Ireland.
    Also, will I need a separate GPS Receiver.

Any help here greatly appreciated.
    Syl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

I havent used either but ive heard that tomtom is meant to be quite good and as far as i know you do need a seperate GPS reciever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have tomtom running on mine, you'll need tomtom 6, problem is the uk and ireland maps are teleatlas and therefore suck hard! What you need is the western europe map (which covers ireland, england and loads of continental europe) for tomtom6. It is over 900mb however so at least a 1gig card required.

You will also need a gps device, bt77 is cheaper than sirf3 chipset but takes longer to get a signal from cold.

i could never get route66 working, if you can its a good un as all maps are navteq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Cheers guys, wasnt sure if i need seperate reciever, will look into two mentioned and tom tom 6. cheers for info

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

Garmin make the GPS Mobile 10x which is a bluetooth GPS unit and software that's compatible with the N73 (see https://buy.garmin.com/gmbg/start.faces) but I'm not sure if they're shipping it just yet. They use the NavTeq maps which are the only ones worth bothering with in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

syl77 wrote:
    Hi,

Has anyone set up GPS SW for the N73. Can it be done and if so what SW is the best.
    I am currently looking into TomTom6 or route66 but I am not sure what to go with. Do either give maps for Ireland.
    Also, will I need a separate GPS Receiver.

Any help here greatly appreciated.
    Syl

You will need a bluetooth GPS receiver, also TomTom uses Teleatlas maps which have terrible Irish coverage. The PocketPC version of Route66 uses the latest Navteq maps which have 100% Irish coverage, I would presume the Symbian version would use the same maps but you might want to check this first.

• Advertisement

tomtom western europe map is navteq and has full ireland coverage

Cyrus wrote:
    tomtom western europe map is navteq and has full ireland coverage

To the best of my knowledge, TomTom only use Navteq data in the following products: Tomtom rider, Tomtom one(regional), Tomtom Go 510. I understand that the TomTom Navigator still uses Teleatlas and therefore won't have good coverage of anything except the major roads in Ireland. The very very latest Teleatlas maps (not sure if they're in any units yet) would have comparable coverage to the Navteq maps, but like I said, I don't know what unit/products you'd find them in. Check the product pages in detail before buying.

im using the western europe map with tt navigator 6 :)

Cyrus wrote:
    im using the western europe map with tt navigator 6 :)

For the sake of clarity, can you link to the exact product you're using? As you can see here, TomTom Navigator 6 with Western Europe a) uses Teleatlas maps and b) doesn't cover the Republic of Ireland at all.

Contrast this with the TomRom ONE Europe that use Navteq maps and provides the same coverage of Ireland as all Garmin units (as good as you'll find anywhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

Navicore http://www.navicoretech.com do an excellent GPS product that I've been using with the Nokia N80. Ireland is more or less completely mapped, and the routing it uses is usually on the ball. Would recommended it.

Also, you can pick up a cheap SiRF III bluetooth receiver for 35 stg here. This works a treat too, and as it's SiRF III, you can keep it in the glove compartment if you want, doesn't require line of sight.

• Advertisement

For the sake of clarity, can you link to the exact product you're using? As you can see here, TomTom Navigator 6 with Western Europe a) uses Teleatlas maps and b) doesn't cover the Republic of Ireland at all.

Contrast this with the TomRom ONE Europe that use Navteq maps and provides the same coverage of Ireland as all Garmin units (as good as you'll find anywhere).

that map (the tomtom one map) works with tt navigator 6. i downloaded it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

I'm using Route 66 software on a Nokia N73 and it works a treat.

I picked up a cheap solar-powered blutooth GPS receiver from ebay and it all works fine.

The Route 66 software is €60 here and the GPS Receiver will cost in the region of €60 also.

If Ireland maps is what you're looking for I believe Route 6 is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

So if I buy one of the GPS receivers, does it matter about the amount of channels? I thought that to track your position, the receiver had to lock onto 3 satellites. Some are advertised as 16 or 20 or even 32 channel. But if you only require 3 to be locked on what's the point of having more channels?
    (Is it true that the more satellites you can have line of sight at any time to is 6?) :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The more satellites that you have the better accuracy you get.
    I know my GPS (not phone based) picks up 10 to 12 satellites most of the time.
    If it drops to 3 or 4 the accuracy will be off

Mik

Which software has the best (most up to date) mapping for Ireland?

Which software has the best (most up to date) mapping for Ireland?
    I was told that the Route66 software has the latest (navteq) maps before anyone else ... dunno how true this is

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

v10 wrote:
    I was told that the Route66 software has the latest (navteq) maps before anyone else ... dunno how true this is

On the route 66 site, it lists the mobile 7 as using the Q3-2005 maps. How does this compare to the Q2-2006 maps used in their car nav systems?

On the route 66 site, it lists the mobile 7 as using the Q3-2005 maps. How does this compare to the Q2-2006 maps used in their car nav systems?
    I don't know about their website but my Route 66 Chicago 6000 In-car Sat Nav is using Navteq Q4/2006 and my Nokia N73 has Q3/2006 maps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement