Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael Linn Irish Classes

Options
  • 12-04-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey, I appled for my post grad in Primary teaching in october. My Irish is a bot rusty so I signed up for the Irish Classes with Gael-linn for 6 weeks! Can anyone tell me whether they are worth while and if the will help in any way????

Any advice appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

In a similar boat myself.

Can't actually answer your question, but I wondered what level you signed up for? Is it in Dublin?

I did an 8 week VEC run Irish course last Oct. It was for beginners.
    I had just started to relearn Irish back then, so small bits were beneficial, but overall it wasn't really worth anything to me.
    So, if you chose the beginners course, then I'd doubt you'll get much benefit, because as bad & all as our Irish might be, it's not that basic.

(Though, the fact you only mention it being rusty leads me to believe you're at a higher level)

I'm doing a weekend course in June with Oideas Gael in the Donegal gaeltacht.
    Again, I don't know if it will benefit, but they decide what level to put you at when they meet you, so at least I know I'll be learning at the proper level.

Sorry I can't be of more help & best of luck with your studies.
    I'm finding it slow going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Thanks for the reply,

I went for the intermediate level because I know that I have an underlying fluency so I know as soon as I start usuing it again it will all come back to me! It said on the brochure it was for people who learned Irish in school but feel they might have forgotten much of what the know!! Hopefully it wil lbe the right one!

Best of uck with your course in Donegal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pixiearoo

Sorry that I cant help out with your question, I was hoping you could tell me if you did honours Irish for the leaving, and are just brushing up before starting the teaching course, or if you are taking the Irish course to qualify for the teaching course. I got an A1 in pass Irish, I dropped down in 6th Yr, big mistake, as now I want to do my postgrad in primary teaching.

any advice is greatly appreciated cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey,

I did Honours Irish in the leaving so I am just brushing up on what I have already learned.

As far as I know you will have to retake the Irish Exam in the leaving Cert or if you do not fancy doing tht there is an equivilency exam that can be done that is around the same level as the Honours Exam in the LC.

I am not 100% on how you go about this but if you look thorugh all the psots here there is definitely some inormation that will help you

Advertisement