Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap bike for triathlon

Options
  • 12-04-2007 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone had opinions on good light weight bikes reliable bikes, that won't break the bank, specifically for a triathlon around the 500-600 mark?

Cheers
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Ya wont get a specific tri bike for that price. You would just get a basic road bike for around that price

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

You will want to spend more or think about buying maybe a second hand one 500 600 wont get you much

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Hey james, On that buget you're not going to get something specifically for triathlon. Your best bet is to try and a second hand road bike and put a set of Tri bars on it. Entry level for this kind of thing is a trek 1000 or there abouts....
    What triathalons are you considering doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trinewb

Thanks for the responses,

Could any recommend a good road bike for around that price then,
    I'm going to do the sprint triathlon in athy in kildare and hopefully the dublin city full one in september

Cheers
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

take a wander over to the triathlon ireland fora. you might get lucky over there and someone could be off loading a bike. Be prepared to tell them how tall you are and maybe even your inside leg measurement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Excuse my ignorance, what's the difference between a tri bike and a normal bike? I ask because I'm swimming and cycling anyway, and I live beside a huge park so I'm thinking - maybe if I start running I could do a triathalon....

a tri bike is something akin to a time trial bike (but not exactly).
    A good starter article is
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

I use a bog standard road bike (specialized Ruby) for triathlon and don't think a tri bike would improve me at all. Most triathletes who are limited to one bike have a roadie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I use a bog standard road bike (specialized Ruby) for triathlon
    I only have a standard road bike too (LaPierre Francais de Jeux replica) and added tri bars.
    I use the bike for duathlons (I don't to triathlons - water too cold for me) and long distances.
    For my first few short duathlons, I used my mtn bike - Specialized Rockhopper. I did reasonably okay, beating many on their road bikes. Changing to a road bike did help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Why are tri bars different from regular road bike bars?
    daymobrew wrote:
    I only have a standard road bike too (LaPierre Francais de Jeux replica) and added tri bars.
    I use the bike for duathlons (I don't to triathlons - water too cold for me) and long distances.
    For my first few short duathlons, I used my mtn bike - Specialized Rockhopper. I did reasonably okay, beating many on their road bikes. Changing to a road bike did help.

• Advertisement

tri-bars allow you to extend out to the front and so get lower on the bike and more aerodynamic. If set up correctly it's also a comfy position to cycle in

This is an example of clip on bars
    http://www.refriedcycles.com/profilebars.jpg
    your elbows rest on the pads and you grip the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I remember reading something about the forward position of a tri-bike allows you to save your legs for the run. The cycle is my strongest event in the tri, so I go all-out then and am completely wrecked for the run.

M

It looks more comfy alright. In fact, it looks as if you could read a paper while cycling, though I'd say that's rare enough in the average triathlon.

Thing is, if it's more aerodynamic, why don't non-triathlon racing cyclists use the same bars?
    tri-bars allow you to extend out to the front and so get lower on the bike and more aerodynamic. If set up correctly it's also a comfy position to cycle in

This is an example of clip on bars
    http://www.refriedcycles.com/profilebars.jpg
    your elbows rest on the pads and you grip the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

It looks more comfy alright. In fact, it looks as if you could read a paper while cycling, though I'd say that's rare enough in the average triathlon.

Thing is, if it's more aerodynamic, why don't non-triathlon racing cyclists use the same bars?

It is much more aerodynamic, but can be very uncomfortable, especially over longer distances. You wouldn't see many people adopting the position to cycle to work. Standard race cyclists will have hills and longer distances to contend with and generally the extra weight of the bars would negate the benefits - they can get a decent tuck postion for the downhill without the bars.

In relation to the original post, a decent hybrid bike, or even mtb would even suffice if you only an occasional tri athalete or beginner. This way you can get the full value out of the bike and use it for commuting, training etc and will be a lot cheaper. If you get really big into it you can splash out a grand + on a decent road bike and tri bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Money Shot wrote:
    In relation to the original post, a decent hybrid bike, or even mtb would even suffice if you only an occasional tri athalete or beginner. This way you can get the full value out of the bike and use it for commuting, training etc and will be a lot cheaper. If you get really big into it you can splash out a grand + on a decent road bike and tri bars.

I second that, i did my first triathlon on my hardrock with skinny tyres and i overtook LOADS of people on road bikes. It's the engine that wins the race, not the bike. There's always plenty of first timers with mountain bikes etc... so if you have one, use it.

Two reasons, most triathlons are not draft legal i.e. you cycle within a certain distance of another cyclist whereas most cyclist races have a peleton. Tribars are not safe for group riding as you have less control and take longer to reach the brakes

secondly, cycling races are just that. You can happily die after the finish line. For triathlon you still need the legs to head off on the run.

another alternative is to borrow a bike for the first few races. I did my first triathlon on a borrowed bike and it was great. I have a spare bike but I'm a teenchy lady so it would probably be too small for anyone of normal dimensions.

I see.
    Two reasons, most triathlons are not draft legal i.e. you cycle within a certain distance of another cyclist whereas most cyclist races have a peleton. Tribars are not safe for group riding as you have less control and take longer to reach the brakes

secondly, cycling races are just that. You can happily die after the finish line. For triathlon you still need the legs to head off on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ah - yeah, I know them now - there's a massive heavy looking bike with tri-bars in the shed I use...

some people put them on a training bike for practise which I would hope is what they are doing on a heavy bike. They do take a bit of getting used to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement