Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upcoming visit to the Dental Hygienist - What do I expect?

• 12-04-2007 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an upcoming appointment with the dental hygienist. I have never been to a dental hygienist before and am wondering what to expect.

I am not the bravest when it comes to the dentist (I find the fact that they poke around inside your mouth for a prolonged length of time without telling you what they are doing quite unnerving) - I do know that the dental hygienist is not the dentist - so to have some idea what to expect helps a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

It's not sore or uncomfortable at all; you might even find it refreshing. They clean your teeth with a jet of water mist, floss and an electric brush. That's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hygienists are trained to clean teeth and give oral hygiene instruction. Cleaning can be anything from a simple scale and polish to a deep under the gum cleaning using local anaesthetic. I my experiance thay do a much better job than dentists becuase: 1, Its all thay do all day long. 2. they care more about it and 3. patients are less nervious cause they feel thay are not at the dentist.

I would highly reccomend going to a hygienist for cleaning however you will still need a checkup from a dentist every so often to check for decay etc.

Good luck and enjoy really clean teeth.

fitzgeme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Thanks everyone,

My appointment is today at 3.30 so hopefully it will all go ok.

Once again Thanks a Million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Actually, this leads to a question I've been meaning to ask. I've had a lot of serious dental problems in the last 18 months so I've had a couple of emergency appointments with the dentist. I've just had my first 6 monthly checkup with the hygenist where I haven't seen the dentist in between.

Now the question: Does the hygenist look for cavities, problems, etc and refer me to the dentist or is his/her role purely cleaning, advice? Do I still need to make appointments with the dentist him/herself?

Advertisement