Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Fine

Options
  • 12-04-2007 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I got pulled over by a Gardai on what I thought was a 60k zone. It turned out to be a 50k zone, as it i apparantly built up (Alfie Byrne rd) which is a load of bollox, But the problem is that there is no signs at all. I've been up and down the road since, and havent ssen hide nor hair of one. I'm thinking of going to court on this one to contest. Would you advise it, or has anyone had any other experiences like mine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

There doesn't have to be a speed limit sign on each road. Whatever the last sign you saw is the one in effect. If there was a 50kmh sign on a nearby road then the limit is 50kmh until you see a sign stating otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

You need to go back to where the next sign is, however far that is. Then photograph the length of teh road you were on. If there's no sign indicating a change from 60 to 50, I'd go to court gladly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

overdriver wrote:
    You need to go back to where the next sign is, however far that is. Then photograph the length of teh road you were on. If there's no sign indicating a change from 60 to 50, I'd go to court gladly.

Ayup...I'd tend to agree.

I can't remember the details, but there was a case a year or so ago very similar to this - guy contested because he was obeying the last sign he'd passed on the route he'd taken, and it was dismissed.

Just be very sure of your facts - you don't want the two points being upped to four !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

isn't there a city wide speed limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dr.Bunson

whippet wrote:

no, the general rule of thumb I apply is 50 on the more major roads, and max 40 in estates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

whippet wrote:
    Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The speed limit applies from the last sign displayed until you are told otherwise. There must be a sign for 50 after you were last informed of the 60 limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Does anybody posting here actually have a license? The speed limit in Ireland for driving in a built up area is 50Kph.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/roads-and-safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland

Dunno whether Alfie Byrne Road is a built up area or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Does anybody posting here actually have a license? The speed limit in Ireland for driving in a built up area is 50Kph.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/roads-and-safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland

there would still need to be a gneral speed limit sign, to indicate the speed limit has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Don't be so obnoxious. Some of us don't even know what town/city Alfie Byrne Rd is in, let alone if it's a built up area. The question was asked about signage and it was duly answered.

Edit: Also, what constitues a built up area? We have many roads on the outskirts of towns with continuous housing on both sides but a 60kmh limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A licence to post or a licence to drive?

You don't need either, by the way, to post the relevant info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Let's look at the information in that link
    National road speed limits (100 km/h)

A speed limit of 100 kilometres per hour is in place on all national roads (including dual carriageways) throughout Ireland.

Hmm. Unless you're on the N2 when you might have a limit of 100kph, or 80kph or 120kph.

Motorway speed limits (120 km/h)

A speed limit of 120 kilometres per hour is in place for all mechanical vehicles on all motorways. You should note that learner drivers, vehicles under 50 cc, bicycles, pedestrians, animals and invalid carriages are not allowed on motorways in Ireland.

Ah, yes. No L-plates allowed on Motorways. Another useless non-implemented Law .

and, my favourite
    Exceptions to speed limits

Speed limits do not apply in Ireland to ambulances, Garda Siochana vehicles being used in the course of duty or fire brigade vehicles.

Unless you're driving a Kerry Govt Minister's family and friends home at over 100MPH (that's over 160kph in new money) at 1:00AM from an All-Ireland final

Or you're the Taoiseach canvasing in Wexford (Guffaw, guffaw)

BUt if you're driving a State car (all part of the Garda fleet), and you're a civilian, driving a Junior Minister, you are not exempt, because you're not a Garda.

It's no wonder people are
    1. Confused
    ad
    2. Angry.

Fair policing is essential. Fair policing we do not get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

overdriver wrote:

I agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

there is a 50kph limit within the dublin city limits as far as I know that was introduced last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

overdriver wrote:

I'll check it out, although does this apply on the roads running perpendicular to the alfie byrne?
    Alfie Byrne road connects Clontarf to East wall, I wouldnt class it as city center.
    To Mickoneill:I am also aware 50k is a built up zone, as I said in the original post, but if anyone knows the alfie byrne, they would be wondering where all the houses are. Its also a wide enough road with a cycle lane and footpath sheltered by a grass bank.

Advertisement