Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Genuine or Non Genuine Parts

Options
  • 12-04-2007 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Suspension part gone in my passat already posted a thread asking how much to expect it to cost few days ago. Anyway went off and rang a few VW main dealers both in Cork. Asked for a quote for the same part in both dealers one returned a price of 119 euro and the other 107. Checked www.micksgarage.ie and their price is 64 euro however this part is not a genuine manufacturer part. Has anyone any experience of parts supplied by micks garage? would i be better off paying the excess and gettin the genuine part from the main dealer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The parts should be the same price from both dealers - unless one has applied discount.

If the car is within warranty then use genuine parts - if not then go for spurious but do your best to get good quality parts. I've never used micksgarage.ie myself, but I have heard good reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

A lot of genuine parts are just re-badged from "Spurious" manufactures, but are nearly half the price. The quality is usually as good, but there are some that won't last as long as others, usually a lot less. try not to go for the cheapest option, try the different motor factors around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

in most cases its just branding.

Try otto.ie for pricing too. You can drive and and pickup the part if you need it quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

in most cases its just branding.

Try otto.ie for pricing too. You can drive and and pickup the part if you need it quickly
    or GSF near the Red Cow

If you can find out who the original manufacturer is of the part, then when you go to a place like otto they will tell you if its original or not

When I needed suspension arms for the BMW, they were manufactured by Lemforder. BMW just bought them and had their stamp on them but I got the Lemforder arms from OTTO at a good bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just a thought, is there enough parts sites to warrant a sticky?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

And for those after 2nd hand spares.

http://www.breakeryard.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

double post, boo urns

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

You could try www.partsgateway.co.uk . I've used them before and they've got good prices and delivery times.

A sticky for part shops/websites would be a great idea, I think there was one here before.

Advertisement