Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris Moyles Breakfast Show - BBC R1

• 12-04-2007 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Thought I'd see if anybody ever listens to this? He's off until the end of next week I think, but I think the show is great. It's the only thing on the radio that I really want to listen to, whereas anything else, I just listen to because I've turned the radio on or whatever. You'll need to have the internet though to listen to it in most places around here.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I listened to him for a short while, but quickly disliked his pompous attitude.

Of course, you could listen to worse that time of the morning, and his show is seemingly a big hit with UK audience, but just not my cup of tae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I think he's great myself. Carpark catchphrase is probably the best radio quiz on at the moment. I was listening to him every morning while Colm and Jim x2 were waiting to start on 2fm. Moyles is certainly one of the best they've had in a long time at breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

don't really listen that much as i tend to listen to american morning radio (opie & anthony, etc...) but if i'm ever in the UK i listen to moyles. very entertaining show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I listen to Moyles every morning on my journey to work. The OP is right Scott Mills is standing in for Moyles and the team until the end of next week.

Himself and the team can be very very funny at times, other times they are just very irritating. I'm still undecided about Moyles himself, he's knwon as the "saviour of Radio 1" and sometimes when he says that he sounds like he's taking the piss other ties he sounds deadly serious about it all. You have to be in the mood for some lighthearted, inane chatter but if that's what you're into then you can't do better than Moyles, Dominic Byrne, Comedy Dave et al.

My only real gripe is that sometimes they can go 20 mins without playing a single track. If you're going to do talk radio then at least do some interesting talking not just nattering on amongst yourselves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Listened to R1 breakfast for as long as I can recall...Chris Evans was always worth a listen, but Sarah Cox used to do my head in...but I still listened.
    Simon Mayo I used really enjoy, especially the last hour of his show, a name the year quiz thing from playing obscure chart records.
    When Moyles started I liked him from the off. As r3nu4l said, the marathon sh*te talking sessions can get a bit much sometimes but most of the time it's slagging and having a laugh and very little else at that time of the mroning makes me laugh..gift grub maybe or something on Colm and Jim Jim...but unlike either of those the whole air of Moyles' show isn't forced or staged, it's just flowing humour, and he always gets great guests and takes the mick out of a lot of them.

Moyles and many other R1 DJ's have something that very few on Irish radio airwaves do and the production values and musical policies soar above domestic radio too. Our very own Annie Mac is a fine example of what I mean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Wertz wrote:
    Simon Mayo I used really enjoy, especially the last hour of his show, a name the year quiz thing from playing obscure chart records.

Agree completely! used to enjoy this when he was on 11-12 yrs ago. Made some tapes of this last hour some cracking music. Mayo was a good DJ as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I still think that Mark Radcliffe and Lard were the best Radio 1 breakfast show hosts, but no one agrees with me :(

lol I completely forgot about those two doing breakfast...it wasn't for very long though was it? Their afternoon show was the best afternoon slot BBC (or any station) has ever done IMO. The wit and music was second to none, even when they had to play stuff they didn't like....oh and only broadcasting from Manchester...and the inane quizes...and of course fat 'arry White :D

I was pissed off for weeks after they got replaced :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

DMC wrote:
    I still think that Mark Radcliffe and Lard were the best Radio 1 breakfast show hosts, but no one agrees with me :(

Who could ever forget Fat Harry White, the Leviathan of Love, and Bird or Bloke sorry I spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The Rabbi Lionel Blair, We Love Us, all there for the discerning listener!

One of the best bits of the afternoon show was Lard's Classic Cuts.... heres a site with the choice cuts..

• Advertisement

Great article in Today's Irish Sun. Apparently yesterday morning David Guest was meant to be Chris' guest but turned up late without ringing to say he was running late. Moyles refused to let him on air and locked the studio. Must go now and listen to the audio... this should be good:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

bbability wrote:
    Great article in Today's Irish Sun. Apparently yesterday morning David Guest was meant to be Chris' guest but turned up late without ringing to say he was running late. Moyles refused to let him on air and locked the studio. Must go now and listen to the audio... this should be good:D

I was listening to the show on the way to work yesterday. Moyles said that he wasn't mad at David Gest himself but rather furious at the PR people who hadn't even had the decency to call ahead and say they would be late. So he cancelled the Gest appearance!! Fair play to him imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

is there anywhere you can download the full show? I can get the podcasts but there isn't much in them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_aod.shtml?radio1/moyles

hear any and every show from the last 7 days. You need real player codecs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BWood

ive listened to moyles for at least 8 years now and he gets better and better...

there is something that he has got that irish dj's cant do when it comes to giving a good output of a radio show..

never stops me from laughing ..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

DMC wrote:

I loved listening to Mark & Lard, but putting them on the breakfast show was a very strange choice. The afternoons were good, but they were better in the evenings, when they could get away with a lot more and not chained so rigorously to the playlist.

I used to listen to Moyles all the time when he had the late afternoon slot on R1 and he could be very entertaining, but not always consistently. It was usually good radio if he was in a mood and not sucking up to guests. Since he moved to the breakfast slot, I've only really heard the post 9am stuff, as I like some heavyweight UK politician grilling courtesy of Mr Humphrys on BBC R4.

Still, you have to hand it to Mark & Lard for the shortest tenure of the Radio 1 breakfast show slot of less than 8 months! :D

BWood wrote:
    ive listened to moyles for at least 8 years now and he gets better and better...

there is something that he has got that irish dj's cant do when it comes to giving a good output of a radio show..

never stops me from laughing ..

Agree totally. He's someone you want to listen to again tomorrow. Something that is certainly missing from this Islands airwaves at present. Natural Talent I say natural talent is what's needed.

Advertisement