Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies around the bins..

• 12-04-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether Wateford City Council have a policy on more frequent bin collections during the summer?

I was away for a week and my bin is due out next week but its full of maggots and flies who are loving the warm weather. I cringe to see what its going to be like in the summer when its really warm. This warm moist weather is like winning a trip to the Bahamas for the fly population. Add in that the bins are being collected every 3 weeks and it really is disgusting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Never had a problem to be honest, lots of fruit flies of course but they're no big deal.
    Do you wrap every piece of food in newspaper before you bin it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah we get teh same problem, its just something that happens though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its the black bin and brown bin thats causing problems. The brown one has grass cuttings and wrapped paper.. while everything in the black one is in plastic bags.

Every 3 weeks just isnt enough for collections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Trotter wrote:
    Its the black bin and brown bin thats causing problems. The brown one has grass cuttings and wrapped paper.. while everything in the black one is in plastic bags.

Every 3 weeks just isnt enough for collections.

Never understood why they don't have three seperate compartments in their trucks so that every week you can put out all three bins for hygenic reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mitabrev

I used to have problems with flies and maggots in the bins as well. especially in the summer. I dont have that problem anymore though. i place all my organic waste in those biodegradable bags. Now my brown bin is full of those bags and absolutely no worms. You can buy those biodegradables in Tesco (and probably other shops as well). Their a little more expensive than ordinary plastic bags, but at least theres no flies/maggots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm sure it's frowned upon, but we just stick a load of Dettol in it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think if a fly or blue bottle get into the bin they lay eggs which hatch out and then become the white worms which will turn into flies/blue bottles. I didn't do science so maybe someone can confirm or deny this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

deisemum wrote:
    I think if a fly or blue bottle get into the bin they lay eggs which hatch out and then become the white worms which will turn into flies/blue bottles. I didn't do science so maybe someone can confirm or deny this

yeah thats pretty much how it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

They strongly hate the dettol thing. They threatened to not take the bins that were "contaminated" by it last summer...
    Yeah, I was staying in my aunts house and the flies have taken over, no matter how many bags or newspapers you put in. Its disgusting. They should collect the brown one weekly anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

We used to have the fly problem with the brown bin too, but we use those biobags, and the problems are gone, and every so often, I take the brown bin out, and rinse it out with bleach and cold water. We never had a problem with the grey bin at all, again, we just keep everything in the bags.

• Advertisement
Advertisement