Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Imagine BB Question

Options
  • 12-04-2007 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭

A friend has opted to sign up for Imagine's 20 free hour broadband package. While I know it doesn't represent good value for money in the grand scheme of things, they've gone against my advice and done it anyway..

They were supplied with a USB modem, which Ive replaced with a wireless netgear. It's all working fine. My question is, given that the wireless broadband is always on, (where they would previously have been turning off the USB modem with the PC), thw wireless modem/router is always-on. Is this going to eat into the 20 hours free broadband and start racking-up big charges?

I'd imagine the wireless router will ping the Imagine servers on occasion, to verify IP addresses, time, DHCP address renewal etc.. Does anyone know how imagine calculate the 20 hours? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

iirc it's 20 hours of connected time, no matter if the only traffic going over the line is the router pinging a server. I once did a bit of work for a guy that had a similar package and he left his router on for a few days without realising it. Probably worked out for the best; The bill he got for the time connected over the 20 hours prompted him to move to a better package.

Advertisement