Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interviews - methods and devices

Options
  • 12-04-2007 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone has experience of this. As part of my research I'm going to have to do a fair few interviews.

Last time I did this I borrowed a minidisk recorder and it was fine, but I suspect that an MP3 recorder would be easier as I could store the files directly on my computer and who knows, try voice recognition software to transcribe them (fat chance, I know!). Has anyone tried this? And do you know if it's usually necessary to provide transcripts of all interviews?

Any other advice on interview work is welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm an engineer so i'll keep my comments technical: Voice recognition just isn't good enough yet to accurately do it. Plus you lose all the audible but non-verbal language (like intonation, pausing etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

If you're doing interviews forget about voice recognition, it isn't advanced enough yet. When it comes to providing transcripts, it depends on how many interviews you do, what sort of research it is and how long the interviews last. At the very least you need an appendix with the list of questions you asked and you need to justify why you selected those particular questions and highlight the weaknesses/strengths of those questions.

General advice on interview work: interviewing is very very difficult, your subjects could just be telling you absolute crap, your questions don't work out, the interview can go off track. The only real advice is do a hell of a lot of preparation in advance and apply proven interview methodology from other research.

Advertisement