Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CFL bulbs for downlighters

Options
  • 12-04-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi folks..
    Has anyone found CFL type bulbs which fit into downlighters. R50 I think the lights are.
    Thanks.
    bbam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi bbam,

If i have this right you have 12V downlights installed

you will need to replace the R50 lamp holder with a GU10 holder and remove the transformer, i.e turn off the power, disconect the traffo from the mains and replace it with a GU10 lamp holder, ie GU10 is a 240Vac holder

Then you can get CFL fittings complete with holder from electrical whole salers like t O Reillies, or Kellihers electrical.

I dont want to keep repeating myself about Meggaman fittings but

You can just get a megaman fitting , it will have a crappy plastic fitting and GU10 lamp holder and a CFL lamp, should cost less then €15

Bin the plastic lamp fitting and reuse the ones you have fitted

BTW you can't dim CFL, so if needs be change a dimmer swithc to a normal on off switch.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bbam wrote:
    Hi folks..
    Has anyone found CFL type bulbs which fit into downlighters. R50 I think the lights are.
    Thanks.
    bbam
    I think R50 are the small screw in 240v Reflector bulbs, they are very expensive and hard to get for the now outdated R series fittings, I have got them in R80 bulbs but never R50 type.
    Maybe think about replacing the whole fitting with CFL megaman units such as recommended by Stoner?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good Call CJ,

I got mixed up I was thinking of the MR16 lamps for some reason, I dont know why, I'm getting old.

Anyway
    you can also try www.cpc.co.uk they have megaman lamps R50 CFLs in 7Watt (equi 35W) and 9W ( equiv 50W)

the have cheaper ones too search code LP02861 these are only 4W but only equic to 20W and they are not Megaman.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;jsessionid=AIX3X3WTFRQAXQFIAEXJLTQ?N=411+401&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=LP02363&Ntx=&_requestid=199195

once again as pointed out by others here these lamps can be long and look a bit crappy in exiting fittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks folks...
    Helpful as ever..bbam

Advertisement