Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best solution for six months of broadband in Portabello?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Straightforward question here folks, I need a temporary solution to provide broadband to a flat in portabello for about six months. Any recommendations? Wired, wireless, RFC1149, makes no odds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Digiweb Metro should be available, you can get a 6month contract on the 3mb service and upwards.

Saves you having to get a phoneline and paying line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, but is that a free line installation? The flat has no phone line run to it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's wireless, so you don't have to get in a physical line.

A small antenna is attached to your flat, and a line run inside, from there you have a small box which has 2 phone ports and a computer port (for broadband)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

There's an €89 installation fee for Metro unless you pay for a year :( You also can't get Metro Lite without signing up for a 12 month contract which isn't as expensive. Metro still seems to be a good deal though.

Having the exact same problem as you trying to decide what's the best option for 6 months

Clearwire is a minimum 12 month contract and are meant to be rubbish!

That is about as much as I've learned trying to research it!!

Also I'm in a basement flat (would the antenne work?) and live on a street of preserved houses so not sure if an antenna stuck to the wall would be a-ok with the landlord!!! Damnit I think I'm gona be forced to get Clearwire!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

vodafone 3g broadband modem

irish broadband broadband in a card if its a laptop.

Both can be pruchased on the high street.

Other solutions may take a month to be installed.

And these two solutions give you mobile broadband which you can use anywhere almost.

With 3G you pay depending on your usage, if you're on the net say a few hours a day would you be going over 15mb? Wouldn't want to buy it to then find out I'd be paying for more than that every month.

I tried Wireless Irish Broadband before and couldn't get a signal. Does the Vodafone modem thing generally have good coverage or is it a case of hanging it halfway out the window at an angle? This may be a very stupid question but I am very stupid when it comes to these things!!! ;)

Advertisement