Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a small engined, high mpg, Automatic only car please?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a small (<1.2l) automatic car for €6,000 or less (but I might be willing to pay more for a car I really liked). I'm looking for something that is cheap to run/insure and is (if possible, a bit different or interesting looking.

The options that interest me are:

(1) Newest Model Micra: Cheap to run/insure, looks quite nice, supposedly good auto box.
    (2) Old Model Micra: As above but cheaper, don't like look though
    (3) Smart Roadster: Would be ideal (looks, fuel economy) but sadly a bit too pricey (cheaper when imported from the U.K but still €10k+)
    (3) Fiat Punto: Not as reliable, as a I know from current Fiat, like look though
    (4) Nissan Figaro: Looks fantastic, overpriced for 1991 Micra
    (5) Daihatsu Copen: I think it's great looking, but even imported too expensive
    (6) Suzuki Swift: I'd have to wait another year or two for Japanese 03 models to be within price range. Like it a lot though
    (7) Fiat Panda: Dualogic gearbox seems great, impressive MPG, still too pricey
    (8) Toyota BB: Very interesting looking car (essentially Yaris) but nicer newer model is too pricey.

Ideally I'd like the (1) Smart Roadster, (2) Copen or (3) Figaro but they would all be almost twice the price of a new model Micra which is probably the wisest/most practical auto option.

Any further opinions or options for a small AUTO auto would be much appreciated.

I'm going to smart test driving them this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know it's not in your list, but I was very fond of my 1.3 Auto Mitsubishi Mirage's (hatchback, then coupe). The coupe is a bit less common and nice and sporty looking I think - huge boot too.

I found them great in town and on the N3. Struggles a bit on motorways though if you've a few people in the car with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for the reply, I see there are a few Mirage's on carzone but I don't like the look of it too much. Another car I forgot to add that I think would be great is the Audi A2 but unfortunatley they was not made in Auto form as far as I know.

Any further advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Any more suggestions folks?

With the summer on the way the convertable options are appealing but I may not think so come mid winter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

You may be more lucky with Nissan Almera autos. They are a bigger engine (please correct me if I'm wrong) I think they're 1.6, but there are loads of them being sold by Avis, Enterprise Rent a Car, Budget etc. They bought them for the american tourists who can't drive "stick".

Advertisement