Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

update name on bank account

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone changed the name on their bank account before without hassle? I've been onto Ulster Bank who tell me I can't do it.

All my statements come out as Joe Patrick Bloggs. I want them to come out as Joe Bloggs. I don't even use my middle name and it's really only annoying.

It seems like a very simple request to me, what am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Should be very simple to do.

Though you might need to call into the branch with ID for CJA purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Go into bank with ATM card.
    Ask them to remove your middle name from your statements.
    No ID / POA needed.
    Changing the name on your statements is slightly different to changing the actual name on your bank a/c. You could put anyname on your statement, its the name on your bank a/c is what matters.

I think you need to move to BOI because we can do it as described above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I want to change the name on everything the bank has on me. I never use my middle name and don't want to. AIB don't have any problem with it, I don't see how UB would :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ciaranfo wrote:
    I want to change the name on everything the bank has on me. I never use my middle name and don't want to. AIB don't have any problem with it, I don't see how UB would :(

What I am saying is that you dont need to go to the trouble. Because it after all, all you need is a bank statement with your name on it. It doesnt matter what name is actually on your a/c. If you wanted to go to the trouble, new Money Laundering documents are needed which is a pain in the hole. You might have to sign a form as well.

Money laundering documents .. lovely ... I'll pop back into the Branch one of these days and see what I can sign! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

ciaranfo wrote:
    Has anyone changed the name on their bank account before without hassle? I've been onto Ulster Bank who tell me I can't do it.

All my statements come out as Joe Patrick Bloggs. I want them to come out as Joe Bloggs. I don't even use my middle name and it's really only annoying.

It seems like a very simple request to me, what am I missing?

Should be fairly straightforward, how do they manage this when Women change name from Marriage/Divorce?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ciaranfo wrote:
    I've been onto Ulster Bank who tell me I can't do it.
    Seems very strange. Did they say why?

I'd let them know that you'll be moving your account to another institution if they can't do this.

No, just a case of "no, can't do that ..". I'm gonna pop back in again during the week and ask though when I have a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Blackjack wrote:
    Should be fairly straightforward, how do they manage this when Women change name from Marriage/Divorce?.

they have to provide the bank with the sight of an original marrige certificate or an authenticated copy (signed by a commissioner for oaths/practising solicitor/bank official)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

vector wrote:
    they have to provide the bank with the sight of an original marrige certificate or an authenticated copy (signed by a commissioner for oaths/practising solicitor/bank official)

Appreciated, but they clearly have a process for changing account names in those instances, so it's not a case of "can't be done" which the OP appears to have been told.

• Advertisement
Advertisement