Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your experience of Corsas....reliable?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Are Corsa's reliable? I (suprisingly) don't know anyone who owns or has owned a Corsa. What are they like? It'd be great if you could be specific when refering to different models/engines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mine's been very reliable the 13 months I've had it. It is overdue a service at the moment which will probably cost me a fortune as it'll be the 100k service(94k on the car, but I want to get it done).

I have a 00, the 3 cyl 1.0. Which is quite asthmatic when cold (most of my driving), but grand on the open road.

Go for the 1.2 though. depending on the year you're looking at get a high spec model...spent ages looking for one with electrics, central locking and factory CD. The electric mirrors were't a priority at the time of purchase, but have proven invaluable since. Of course Murphy's law kicked in about 2 months later and they were everywhere!!!

The 1.0 is a newer engine than the 1.2. The 1.0 has a timing chain rather than a belt in the 1.2.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rob185

I had a '98 corsa until 2 weeks ago when i finally sold it. It was not reliable at all for me but i think this is down to a bad previous owner who must have absolutely trashed it! It served me well as a first car and I passed my test in it but i'll warn you the 1.0 3cyl is quite slow!

Problems:
    Overheating
    Leaking coolant
    loose trim
    indicator yoke failed
    other minor things

Dont let this put you off though as I think I just had a lemon and if you buy carefully (unlike me), I hear Corsas are reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The 1.0 is definately suspect: particularly if it was not well maintained with regular servicing. The 1.2 has been as reliable as any in its class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

My mam has a corsa, and thinks it's great, can't think of any major reliability problems she's had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

crap we had 1 from new they are crap in my opinion, buy a jap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

i had a corsa for years.
    it was so bad i will now refuse to buy ANY opel car and advise all friends and relatives of the same.
    illogical, perhaps - but thats just an indication of the hassle i had with the bloody thing.
    never, never again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

2 realtions in my family had the 1 litre 12v model one, one of them needed a new thermostat recently, then the engine f***ed up not long after that and now the car is waiting to go to the scrapyead. It was perfectly reliable till that point though. The other haad the malfunction light or the engine management light or the exhaust emissions light depending on what you call it(its the yellow one that kinda looks like a square with a small T sticking out at the LHS and on top) come on and that car gave engine trouble and it went too, then again 2 other relations had 1 each and they were perfect(again the 12V 1l), and someone else I know has a 1.2 44bhp model since she got it new in 96 and its still running perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

i had a corsa for years.
    it was so bad i will now refuse to buy ANY opel car and advise all friends and relatives of the same.
    illogical, perhaps - but thats just an indication of the hassle i had with the bloody thing.
    never, never again...

Well my 00 1.0 replaced my dad's 97 1.2.The 1.2 was a better engine in terms of power and acceleration but I've had 7k miles with no trouble and all it's badly in need of is a service when I get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I work in an opel garage a would recomend that you dont buy a 1.0l corsa. his engine is underpowered and gives trouble with a few things. the 1.2 is much better. what year corsa would you be looking at?

Advertisement