Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of the Language in Journalism with A Language

• 12-04-2007 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hows a goin. I'm doing my leaving this year and have Journalism with a Language as my second choice. I like the look of the course, but have reservations over the language side.

I'd just like to ask, how much of an emphasis is there put on the language side of it? Like, lets say it's French, what standard French would be required for this course?

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

There's a bit emphasis on the language side, which is why it's called "Journalism with a language"... they put it right there in the title so you can't escape it.

I'm trying to remember first year, but I think you do about 6 hours of language classes divided into 3 classes. In German it's divided into language, literature and culture. I think French is pretty much the same.

The standard isn't too high, I went in without doing German for about four years and I managed to pass all my exams. The literature and culture aspects of the course are harder then in the leaving cert, but they're more detailed so it's much more interesting. The language element focuses pretty much on grammar in 1st year, you watch films.. I think both French and German classes have to give a presentation on a film review, that sorta thing.

You have to like the language you choose though as you do it for the four years. In third year you spend a semester abroad (Frenchies can go to France or Belgium etc) so you have to be competent by then.

In fourth year you have to do a mini dissertation in your chosen language.

It's a great course to do, but if you hate doing a language and you're thinking to yourself "I never want to speak a word of French after this exam" then steer clear.

Advertisement