Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell advertising .. fradulent ?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

For the last three weeks dell home have advertised a Dimension E520 starting from €349 (incl VAT and Del )

see here

And dell business (excl VAT and Del ) have offered a dimension C521 from €199 ( and this week a E520 from €229 ) here

You are brought to these links from the emails they send out. I wasn't able to configure any of these to the advertised price, so I gave Dell a call. They said the webpages were incorrect and would be fixed soon.

I notice this week the ads are the same.. unless of course you can find a way to configure these PC's to this price .. surely this is fradulent advertising?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I just had a look at the DELL website, They have an E520 for €349. The code is D04E05. The system only has 512MB ram and no monitor

For €489 you can get an E520 with a Celeron with 2GB of RAM and a 19' LCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

right managed to find that .. can you find the E520 in business for €229 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

ned78 wrote:

that link brings you to this page which doesn't have the 229 price?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The cheapest I can find online is 299 Ex Vat, but I'm sure if you phone them, they'd have a different system offline for 229. It's not all a big conspiracy you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

all dell ad's are excluding vat, all possible downgrades, no warranty package and no delivery.

ned78 wrote:
    The cheapest I can find online is 299 Ex Vat, but I'm sure if you phone them, they'd have a different system offline for 229. It's not all a big conspiracy you know!

When I rang them the last time .. they said they had made an error and it would be corrected, a big conspiracy ? no, fradulent advertising .. maybe.
    all dell ad's are excluding vat, all possible downgrades, no warranty package and no delivery.

business ads are, home ads aren't excl VAT or del .. whats your point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

zod wrote:
    When I rang them the last time .. they said they had made an error and it would be corrected, a big conspiracy ? no, fradulent advertising .. maybe.

business ads are, home ads aren't excl VAT or del .. whats your point ?

Actually your wrong on the home ads. They sent one of their catalogue things to my house and all of the prices were excluding V.A.T. and no there are no businesses ran out of my house :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

whats your point anyway ? Im sure you will be told that all offers are an invitation to treat and are subject to change so they dont have to offer you what has been advertised if its incorrect.

The offers change on a weekly basis so what was offered lastweek wont be valid this week. It could of been something as innocent as a mistake on the site and would be hard to prove that it was 100% fraudulent advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Actually your wrong on the home ads. They sent one of their catalogue things to my house and all of the prices were excluding V.A.T. and no there are no businesses ran out of my house :P

Dell do advertise ,vat inclusive systems and vat exclusive systems.
    Usually the newspaper brochures are inclusive and the postman brochures are exclusive.

Serious waste of paper ,I think.They don't seem to give a crap about the envoirnment.

• Advertisement

Darkener wrote:
    whats your point anyway ? Im sure you will be told that all offers are an invitation to treat and are subject to change so they dont have to offer you what has been advertised if its incorrect.

The offers change on a weekly basis so what was offered lastweek wont be valid this week. It could of been something as innocent as a mistake on the site and would be hard to prove that it was 100% fraudulent advertising.

your right .. if it's hard to prove they should be allowed to advertise any price they like :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its no more fraudulent than ryanair selling flights for 1c when you know at the end of the booking youll be up to €50.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

what i mean is they say a pc is from 299 because it is really, with absolutley no additions and none of the mandatory extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

_Brian_ wrote:

Serious waste of paper ,I think.They don't seem to give a crap about the envoirnment.

You dont think they chop down 600 year old oak trees to make paper anymore do you ? Its made from specially grown renewable forests which provides employment for thousands of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

oleras wrote:
    You dont think they chop down 600 year old oak trees to make paper anymore do you ? Its made from specially grown renewable forests which provides employment for thousands of people.

It's not just trees ,a lot of the material is probably from recycling aswell.
    I'd say 60% of people don't even look at them brochures. I get them in my door regurlarly,
    Surely electronic edvertising is easier on the envoirnment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

DELL did make a mistake and they've corrected it. The price is €199 + vat & shipping.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=D4XESS01&l=en&oc=D04C11&rbc=D04C11&s=bsd&sbc=iebsdftdppdesktop3

Regarding their leaflets & adverts. If they are promoting a business system, then they quote excluding VAt & delivery. If they are promoting home systems, they quote including VAT & delivery.

Advertisement