Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths - Standard Deviation?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Regarding Paper II Question 7 (ie permutations/combinations, probability and mean/standard deviation), firstly do many do this question?

I've seen very little of it either in class or in grinds, it seems to be ignored, even though it is sometimes (occasionally) very easy... I know many seem to avoid the probability questions completely, but this seems the less popular of the two. Q6 is usually a straightforward question (difference equations and combinations) which is nearly always done from what I've seen...

Also in class we've barely touched off Standard Deviation/Weighted Mean in two years, despite it coming up every year. Basically what I'm asking is, to anyone who's done this section, is it worth covering in detail, I mean, is it an easy question compared to many others when you've all the work done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Definately, if you know your stuff you will get very close to 50. Standard deviation is just learning the formula. Weighted mean is the same. However, last year they put a sequence series into this question on the sly. They could do the same this year. Advice; just do the series!!! ;) (note I am assuming a lot of students here will not have been taught series, which is the case in a lot of schools)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I love the series... well for the most part, it's usually reliable for an easy a and b... c's could go either way really! I HATE seeing series shoved in to another (reliable) question, however, eg last year diff part c being that induction part.. well, I spose t'was an easy 20 if it was expected, wish they'd stick to their own question tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Its to make sure that everyone covers the course. Lots of people go in with bare minimum 12 questions prepared, and the they have decided to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

i would DEFINETLY recommend that question if you know your probability.the statistics course is extremely short.all you need to know is weighted mean and standard deviation.
    both probability questions are on my list.theyll probably be my best questions on paper II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Stats is really easy but REALLY boring.

I'll do it on the day probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Stats is really easy but REALLY boring.

I'll do it on the day probably.

I agree, a better option than Trigonometry and goes hand in hand with permutations combinations and probability in paper 2.
    Discrete maths is more popular than trig and those hellish learn by rote in nearly all circumstances further Geometry questions
    I am speaking from the perspective of OL maths however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

lol, trig is my best question. Q4 and 5 should be an easy 90+ marks for me on paper 2.. Probably will leave out vectors and line transformations on the day.

EDIT: Noticed you're talking about OL maths, so what i've said might be irrelevant to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

Standard Deviation is just knowing the formula and then using bog standard algebra... really really easy. God forbid that you should actually know what it represents... i think that's the main failing of LC statistics: you're able to get the SD of a set of data, but it's never required that you know what conclusions you can draw from it, that's what it's so boring

Advertisement