Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone out there with photos of their collections?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice collection. Will try and get a camera and take mine. Rather proud of it. My 16-bit stuff is all in the attic unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote:
    My 16-bit stuff is all in the attic unfortunately.

Frustrating having no room to display stuff isnt it? All the rest of my 16 bit gear is stored away. I'd love to get the rest of it up somewhere like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

oooh... a Nomad... nice.

Master of the Universe

oooh... a Nomad... nice.

Nice..but should probably hold a world record for depleting AA batteries in the fastest time possible. Can be an interesting challenge trying to finish a game before the thing goes dead. Oh the panic when the red light starts to flash :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

The Nomad looks like an non-digital camera.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Ah streets of rage and shinobi, two timeless classics! Really wish I hadn't sold my megadrive to my uncle....

Master of the Universe

SaxoDuff wrote:
    Ah streets of rage and shinobi, two timeless classics! Really wish I hadn't sold my megadrive to my uncle....

When saving up for a Playstation (My betral of Sega...I still live with it to this day *sniff*) my mother kept saying I should sell my Megadrive and games. Glad I didn't listen to her!

I am desperate for more games. I have very few.

I NEED SOURCES.

Ebay rips you off on postage.

Master of the Universe

Find a seller on ebay who has multiple games for sale and then get him to conbine postage. I remember I bought so many games from one seller that he threw in a few extra for free.

How much did you buy?

How much money did you spend and how much was postage?

Comix Zone... Needed. :p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Someone was selling about 15 games. All of them ended around the same time and all were only 1p. So I bid and won them all without any competition :) Postage was about £12 if i remember correctly. Including about four extra games. Should probably have been more expensive. So in total it worked out about 17 euro or so for 19 games.

You won't get Comix Zone for 1p though. Just keep a look out. I managed to get my copy with a buy it now for 2 pounds.

A great thing to do is type in "mega drive", press buy it now and arrange all the games starting with the lowest price first. You can sometimes nab a bargain. I saw a copy of Probotector for the Megadrive for £7 and stupidly didnt buy it. Bah!

There is no way I'm going to get such a bargain!

1p!?

:O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, now where did I leave my camera?
    Nice megadrive collection, I tossed out most of my boxes, not enough room.
    I had a nomad, traded it with a guy who used to work in Bookmart for his Virtual Boy, I reckon I got the better deal to be truthful, and I think the SegaCD/Mega drive combo is a tad rarer, and I've got one of those!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Right, here are a few hasty shots of my own dungeon, strangely located in my attic!
    Sorry about the mess, it was the cleaning ladies year off.
    Soon to abandon the evil staire folding attic stairs and gaining a good and wholesome spiral staircase up there so my visits can be more frequent, some of those systems are getting mighty lonely!
    I've got 30 at last count and most of the games aren't in the shots, I have over 110 PS1 games, tons of Megadrive and Snes games together with everything worth owning on N64, pal releases anyway.
    I can't show you my Xbox and DC game collection without incriminating myself and the MegaCD, 3DO and rest of the games are all in various drawers around the room, my Edge collection holds up a wall behind the camera!

Any chance of buying some mega drive games, no?

:P

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I tossed out most of my boxes, not enough room.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sacrilege!!!!!
    I always wondered why I kept picking up games with no boxes..

Nice collection anyway. Quite a few consoles there I've been meaning to get my hands on., Nowhere to put them though.

I'm more a player than a collector, I don't own anything I wouldn't play so aside from Vagrant Story, a handful of 32bit FF games and the Zelda series you'll find no RPGs in my collection, no soccer games either, can't stand sports games!
    I just like playing great games on the original hardware, be it Castlevania SOTN, Steel Battalion or Need for Speed on my trusty 3DO.
    The games generally didn't come with boxes, but those that did, the Snes, GB amd N64 cardboard stuff doen't wear the years well, I'd love a boxed Super Metroid though, with the book!
    Machines I need right now are, Commodore CD32, Colecovion, Intellivision and a Atari/Sears Pomg machine, CX100 I think.
    Also hoping to stick a 28" HD tv in there sometime, make everything just right.

One other thing to would be collectors, buy an old Xbox, mod it and get Mame plus a complete romset, no true blue gamer should be without it.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I just like playing great games on the original hardware,

That's more or less what it is for myself. Even if I want to play a ps1 game I'll take out one of my ps1 consoles rather than play it on a ps2. Some might find that odd.... I really can't play games on emulators either. It sucks a lot of the joy out of it for me. MAME being the only exception.

I do have a horrible collector streak when it comes to the games. Really have to have them in boxes. Loose carts do my head in.

Actually, do you have any photos of your games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    some of those systems are getting mighty lonely!
    !
    I have no problem in keeping them company for you:D . 110 Ps1 games is some collection. Any chance you have Nagano Winter Olympics in there I have benn trying to track it down for a good while.

Master of the Universe

wrote:
    I've got 30 at last count and most of the games aren't in the shots, I have over 110 PS1 games, tons of Megadrive and Snes games together with everything worth owning on N64, pal releases anyway.
    I can't show you my Xbox and DC game collection without incriminating myself and the MegaCD, 3DO and rest of the games are all in various drawers around the room, my Edge collection holds up a wall behind the camera!

Including hand helds I'm on 29. (Although there are a few doubles...In the case of my ps1s quadruples)

Game wise;
    Sega Megadrive - 111
    ps1 - 52
    Snes - 42
    ps2 - 36
    n64 - 23
    Nes - 12
    Sega 32x - 5
    Gamecube - 4
    Wii - 2
    DS - 11
    GBA - 5
    GB - 5
    Game.com - 2

Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to stop with the Megadrive for a while and start padding out other systems.

Not nearly enough! Damn it, I need a job :D

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote:

Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to stop with the Megadrive for a while and start padding out other systems.

Not nearly enough! Damn it, I need a job :D

Blashphemy!

Master of the Universe

Timans wrote:
    Blashphemy!

What am I saying! *slaps him self out of it*

Much better,

Now, Go buy me a Euro Nomad!

I can't really pad out my game collection for my existing consoles, I pretty much have everything I need already, aside maybe for some transparencies for the Vectrex, 3d tetris for the virtual boy and perhaps a modded ps1 so I can just nab iso's of all those rare playstation games like einhander that i can't justify spending big money on, maybe Un Jammer Lammy and Kurushi while i'm at it. Also want to hook up a laptop hd to my Amiga600 so i don't need disks.
    I am getting a bit ahead of my self with this collecting business, tend to refer to it as "my gaming museum", deary deary me.
    The vectrex is the most important device, along with its vecflash cart, lets me dump almost entire game lineup for machine onto it, coupled with a lovely onscreen menu, its all good baby!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    perhaps a modded ps1 so I can just nab iso's of all those rare playstation games like einhander that i can't justify spending big money on

It's rather excellent probably worth the money unless it's going for silly $40+ prices. I got mine in America about 4 years ago in a second hand bin for $7. There were loads of copies going for about $12. I gave mine as a lend to a friend who put it up in his attic with his PS1 and won't bother getting it.

Note to self, kick friends arse when in college tomorrow.

I know, I had a dodgy copy of it back in the day and loved every moment of it, a sweet game.
    Also, hunt down your friend and beat him til he coughs up Einhander.
    I had a mint copy of Castlevania SOTN for my PS, sold it with the machine back in 98 to a work colleague of a mate, didn't think about it for a couple of months and then it struck me what a fool I had been.
    I was over in his place a couple of months ago and casually mentioned this heartache, when he said, "I've got that here", he had bought the machine and the games from her a couple of years ago after a chance meeting, and so, I now have Castlevania SOTN back in my collection, safe and sound.
    The Vectrex tale is much better but I'll save that for another day!
    I am in a buying frenzy now, I have so many games fo rthe PS2, and can't stop.
    Bought some more this morning, Matrix Path of Neo, Canis Canem Edit, Sonic Riders and Secret Weapons Over Normandy, the last one a gem, made my the guy who produced Tie Fighter and XWing, though not as sim-like as those a great little game, and only 8.99 in Gamestop, nice!
    But thats not including the other 7 I bought in the last fortnight, I'm definitely going slightly insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hope to add the below to my small collection, auction doesn't end until May 5th. :) Currently winning at $23.49.

8000_3.JPG

8251_3.JPG

Master of the Universe

Nice, good luck winning :)

Oooh both copies of VR Racing. Good example of how much more they could have improved on games with the 32X. Shame it has such a pitiful pathetic library. A pitiful pathetic library I'd still love to get my mits on though.

You're lucky that your 32X is American actually. Games are laughably cheaper than the European counterparts. I just saw Zaxxon motherbase sell for 37 sterling. Some other seller has Kolibri up for 88 sterling. Slightly out of my price range..and don't get me started on Darxide!

Good luck with that. Primal Rage 32X is one of the rarest games ever and usually fetches a high price by itself. Forgot how big the Virtua Racing cartridge was :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Good luck with that. Primal Rage 32X is one of the rarest games ever and usually fetches a high price by itself. Forgot how big the Virtua Racing cartridge was :)

Shame primal rage was such a pile of crap tho ;)

It may have been awful but it had a farting monkey who also had a fatality were he pissed acid on the unfortunate victim and melted him to his bones. That almost makes me forgive the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I actually liked Primal Rage:o Ok the conversations weren't THAT great but the arcade was pretty playable.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote:

It's a Genesis copy of Primal Rage, not 32X.

You made my heart jump there ;)

LoGiE wrote:
    I actually liked Primal Rage:o Ok the conversations weren't THAT great but the arcade was pretty playable.

Play it again, it's an unplayable mess. It always was but that never stopped me pumping quarters into it. Don't know why I fell for the hype with crap games like Primal Rage and Mortal Kombat 3. Youthful ignorance I guess.

I seem to have too many versions of Virtua Racing, its a bit like Ninty Fanboy syndrome, where you can't help but buy the same game, be it Zelda OOT, Super Mario Bros 3/World/64 on every system it comes out on.
    I've got versions of Virtua Racing on 32X, Megadrive, Saturn and PS2, I almost had an arcade one, it was the boards from the machine, all I needed was 3 PC monitors and a PC steering wheel and a few other easily fabricated gubbins to have had Model1 racing bliss in my games room, sadly a lack of the needed gumption made me chicken out of the auction and it went for around 100, feck arse feck!

I formly believe, regarding the 32X and others, there's no such thing as a crap console, only badly made games, for whatever the reason, be it lack of support for developers, lazy developers or even making games by commitee, lets have a game with all the latest hot features but make it really suck, Mirocosm anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Timans wrote:
    How much did you buy?

How much money did you spend and how much was postage?

Comix Zone... Needed. :p

I'll have a look for mine, i know theyre all somewhere, either in my attic or my uncles..including comic zone.
    IF i find it, ill send it to ye:rolleyes:
    But...thats a big IF as he may have thrown it out :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

dammit! I just got back from a week break in Dublin, could have taken photos. Anyho, you can visualise:

Atari 800XL
    Atari 520ST
    Atari 520STE (with 1Mb upgrade, hardcore!)
    Apple Mac Classic II
    Atari Jaguar
    Atari Lynx
    Sega MegaDrive
    Nintendo NES

.....jeeze thats a lot of Atari! Hope to have a retro arcade/computing room at some stagein the next couple of years, with EVERYTHING working. None of this display only BS.

SeantheMan wrote:
    I'll have a look for mine, i know theyre all somewhere, either in my attic or my uncles..including comic zone.
    IF i find it, ill send it to ye:rolleyes:
    But...thats a big IF as he may have thrown it out :eek:
    Lovely! I'd love any!

I had to buy Comix Zone on ebay though, couldn't resist! :p

Let me know man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just over 2 hrs left on the auction. *sweats* My max bid is set at $69. I reckon if I get it for close to that, then it is definitely a bargain. Currently winning at $56. :)

EDIT: I won! $59.99 total price. :D

Ruu wrote:
    Just over 2 hrs left on the auction. *sweats* My max bid is set at $69. I reckon if I get it for close to that, then it is definitely a bargain. Currently winning at $56.

Grand, I think I'll offer $69.01

• Advertisement

Stop posting Retr0 and get some pics!

I want to see your collection.

You better live up to expectations. You better!

SouperComputer, I too love Atari, I've got a 6 switch woody, CX-2600, a vader, all black 2600, together with a non functioning 4 switch woody, a nice 7800 and lots of games to go with them, I also have the Jaguar and Lynx.
    The one I need is the C-100, Atari/Sears pong machine, mmmm.... Nice!
    Still, I never tried their home computers, not since that membraned keyed thingy back in 83 or so.

The parebts are away and have the camera. It definitely doesn't match Cidermans collection but it does contain nearly every decent PS1 and this gen game.

It's nice to get them all together, its better to genuinely love each game you collect, too many people buy games purely as completists so as to own everything and not because they loved or still love to play a title.
    That said I have FF games and Vagrant Story purely for the latent completist in me! Same as why I have FFXII on PS2, its not like I'll ever play the thing!
    My N64 collection for instance has every game I ever wanted on the machine, no exceptions, no I tell a lie, I don't have Turok 2, but its only a matter of time.
    Also I want, as I've said, Einhander, the most incredible shooter on the PS1, eclipsing RTypeDelta and G-Darius with ease, and its from Squaresoft, with not a random battle in sight!

If I was to give a little advice to a would-be collector, start buying a machine you loved at the start of your gaming life, be it a Snes, Megadrive, a PS1, Saturn or even a PS2.
    Then buy up the games you always loved on that machine, best place is Ebay, just get a good idea of what the going rate is for a game before committing to any auctions, that way you won't get stung, or at least, not as often!
    Buy easy to find stuff first, don't try for the big guns first, Panzer Dragoon Saga and its ilk, these will just deplete your funds and instead of sitting with a Saturn and 5 games you always enjoyed, you'll be sitting with an expensive rarity that you may have never played before anyway.
    If a PS1 or PS2 is your console of choice, brilliant, Buy and Sell is full of folk shifting their collections, a great way of instantly having a great back catalogue of games, Gamestop have a fantastic range of PS2 titles going alt he way back to launch and there's bound to be great bargains in forgotten classics, the likes of Gradius V and Rtype Final can be got for pittance now.

One last thing, try to display your stuff, even if its a shrine in your room, Shenmue style! You should be proud of your colllections and there's nothing more gratifying to me than to see someone go all glassy eye's seeing beloved games form their childhood that they never thought they'd see again, I had a Sky engineer drop out of his standing when he saw my Vectrex!

I only buy my games as well because I genuinely would like to play them even if at the moment I've so many that I may never get around to finishing a lot of them. Getting a pristine copy is second to owning the game to me, but it's a hell of a lot more satisfying to admire a pristine copy of a game you love. And remember if you try hard enough there are genuine bargains to be got even for the rarest of games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

dammit! I just got back from a week break in Dublin, could have taken photos. Anyho, you can visualise:

Atari 800XL
    Atari 520ST
    Atari 520STE (with 1Mb upgrade, hardcore!)
    Apple Mac Classic II
    Atari Jaguar
    Atari Lynx
    Sega MegaDrive
    Nintendo NES

.....jeeze thats a lot of Atari! Hope to have a retro arcade/computing room at some stagein the next couple of years, with EVERYTHING working. None of this display only BS.

excellent stuff!
    been trying to pickup an 800xl here for ages , but shipping from the uk tends to be a bitch! I spent waaaay to much of my money as a kid getting games in Peats in dublin for it.
    not a huge collection but:
    consoles.jpg
    its a bit out of date though - theres also a PsII/Ps1/Xbox, megadrive II and a saturn not pictured - the tiny thing on top of the N64 is a spectrum 48k
    c64.jpg
    C64 Breadbin, hooked up to the Pc by way of one of those cd to tape adaptor thingies , actually works quite well, theres an upgraded 520STe offscreen as well.Also , not quite the kind of games normally listed here but
    tomyt.jpg
    theres another tomytronic 3d one offscreen (skyfighter) .I'm happiest with the yellow one at the bottom as its supposedly a japan only one (junglefighter).
    Have a lot more SegaMS games now, must get a new photo

Master of the Universe

*snap* on the Galaxy Invader 1000.

P5070805.jpg

Great little thing. Played it quite a bit until recently. Now batteries start heating up and hissing. :(

Love the retro handhelds!
    Nice!
    I always wanted a Simon machine, must have a look.
    Also loved the Game&Watch series, who didn't? But only the rich kids could afford one... :( , and now, well, they are a lot of money for a small return.
    I would like a nice, simple single screen example, once its clean and relatively scratch free, might take a chance on ebay, plus, easy to hide from the wife..... God I wish I was joking :(

Master of the Universe

Game and Watch aren't too expensive. Donkey Kong goes for about 20 pounds on ebay. I had one when I was younger. Has since been lost. Shame.

I'd love the Zelda one actually. Could imagine paying a few quid extra for that.

Right here is my collection finally. A few games escaped me, I dare not enter the hall of peripherals where my MD, SNES, PS1 and lots of other junk is housed and most of my PC and MD games are in the attic.

TheShrine.jpg

The shrine has seen better days. House is getting done up so the place is in a state. Those are a collection of games just lying around down there. Decided to tidy up :) And yes I am showing off with radiant silvergun on the TV.

collection1.jpg

Just a few promos and hnadheld games that are obscured in the other pictures. A few GBA games are missing that I've given a lend to my mates little sister. Promo games you can't make out are Castlevania Symphony of the night, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Vandal Hearts 2, Shadow of Memories, Zone of Enders 2 and Nightmare Creatures 2. Permit me to draw your eyes to a mint PAL copy of Suikoden 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga (unboxed unfortunately).

collection2.jpg

Only one obscured game and thats Shadow Hearts because the cover I got with it was in bits so there's no spine.

collection3.jpg

Obscured games on bottom right are Star ocean: second Story, Silhouette Mirage, Legend of Mana and Castlevania 64 OST.

collection4.jpg

Yep two copies of Xenogears which cost me 80 euros each. One doesn't work though (bastards at buyrite.net). Pity Square re-released it so many times that it's not worth what it used to be.

collection5.jpg

collection6.jpg

That Lunar second story box is bulging because there is a disc only Lunar 1 in there also. Obscured game on right is Virtua Cop for Saturn.

The only annoying misplaced item is Einhander which my idiot friend hasn't give back yet.

TheHorror.jpg

Lastly, the horror of navigating this mess when you have too many consoles and only 1 scart socket that is wired for scart output. Just remembered we're having a Wii night tomorrow and I'm going to have to rescue my Wii from this mess to bring into college :(

Not nearly as impressive as Ciderman's 'I've got every console ever made' collection but I'm proud of it since there is hardly a bad game in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement