Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone out there with photos of their collections?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'd settle for some games for it, the 3DS is starting to feel like the handheld that time forgot.

...and what is trickling through the 3DS games pipe is nothing but 3D remakes and glorified tech demos.

The whiff of failure grows ever stronger by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    ...and what is trickling through the 3DS games pipe is nothing but 3D remakes and glorified tech demos.

The whiff of failure grows ever stronger by the day.

I bought two of them, double the failure :)
    One for myself and another for my girlfriend.

It'll be ok once a few decent new games come out, so this time next year then.

Classic example is the trailer for Starfox 64 3D and the tagline 'experience the classic game now remastered in 3D'.

I want a new console with new, fresh, original, exciting games. Not remakes and 'remasters' used as a cheap excuse to upsell.

If you want to go down that road, why not release a 3DS version of the C64 version of Dick Tracy in 3D? It's the all the same bag of grapefruits whatever way you try to disguise it.

The games industry as a whole appears to be lacking across the board. I sincerely hope it doesn't end up like the movie industry because the 3DS is a prime example of where it's heading. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Classic example is the trailer for Starfox 64 3D and the tagline 'experience the classic game now remastered in 3D'.

I want a new console with new, fresh, original, exciting games. Not remakes and 'remasters' used as a cheap excuse to upsell.

If you want to go down that road, why not release a 3DS version of the C64 version of Dick Tracy in 3D? It's the all the same bag of grapefruits whatever way you try to disguise it.

The games industry as a whole appears to be lacking across the board. I sincerely hope it doesn't end up like the movie industry because the 3DS is a prime example of where it's heading. :(

Blame the people who are buying the crap games and the rehashed remakes or the new consoles with feck all games worth playing. You can't blame the majority of the industry for giving the majority of the public what they want. And the argument of the remakes bringing old games to a new audience is a running a bit thin these days, how many times have Nintendo (for example) re-released the Mario 2D games? Snes Allstars fair enough, but then there's Wii VC, Wii Anniversary Collection and probably others I'm forgetting. I stopped wasting money on this a good while back but accept the majority seem to like trash so that's mainly what we get.

/Edit Maybe Mario 2D and Wii VC isn't accurate but plenty of old franchises have been re-released on it. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    And the argument of the remakes bringing old games to a new audience is a running a bit thin these days, how many times have Nintendo (for example) re-released the Mario 2D games?

Very good point indeed. Is it fair to say though the popularity of the original DS and maybe even the tail end of the Game Boy era are partly responsible for the masses of shovelware we see these days too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its become incresingly apparent to me why I prefer retro gaming over modern day gaming/consoles. Original thinking, playability, & fun are the things I find ever fading in todays games...its all about what'll sell better, to hell with content.

Those who take risks (Crytek, Valve to an extent and so on) are few & far between. Maybe its just my perception of games as I grow older, but initially when I look at modern games...everything just looks the fugging same. Generic fps warfare games, generic sports games, generic mascots, rehashes of old classics, worn out franchises. Where's the innovation, the race to be the best, the thinking outside the box? What happened to all of that?

Videogames - RIP 1980-1998

Very good point indeed. Is it fair to say though the popularity of the original DS and maybe even the tail end of the Game Boy era are partly responsible for the masses of shovelware we see these days too?

Possibly yes. I guess it was also inevitable that as soon as games companies started to appeal to people considered "non-gamers" (was Nintendo the first to do this?) then we were bound to get the shovelware and the re-releases. But shovelware to us might be a good game/time spent for young kids so I don't blame companies for making them or parents for buying them etc. Maybe it's always been that way but now we're older and wiser we're more picky about game quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I seem to be the only person enjoying the 3DS :(

Anyone see these videos for some upcoming (original, not remake!) first party Mario titles? They look great. -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72746411&postcount=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think the games industry lacks originality, except in really really high budget games (and you still have very enjoyable stuff like Uncharted in that category). Sure, there's a bit of a trend towards re-releases at the moment - particularly notable on 3DS where there's a distinct lack of originals at the moment, although a handful on the horizon (I can't complain - apparently I'm getting a 3DS for free!). But I still think there's a tonne of original, exciting games out there - many of them independent and downloadable, but also a lot of imaginative retail releases (from Child of Eden to Sin & Punishment). It's all a matter of where you look.

The major markets are full of generic military shooter. But mainstream cinema is full of generic crap too. Originality is always there, sometimes well hidden, but it's there. Going into Gamestop won't always yield originality (although good to see something like Portal 2 a resounding commercial and artistic success) but every so often something like Dark Souls will gloriously populate their shelves :)

o1s1n wrote: »

Anyone see these videos for some upcoming (original, not remake!) first party Mario titles? They look great. -

They look nice. Probably more enticing to those who already have a 3DS, but they wouldn't make me go out and buy one. If the only difference those games have over their Wii/GC/DS cousins is a 3D effect then a big thumbs down. If they have some new gameplay mechanics then that's positive. Seeing that raccoon suit in 3D doesn't entice either I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Don't worry you're not alone! I wasn't expecting a torrent of new and original content at the beginning (was a day 1 DS purchaser too), and am enjoying it for what it is at the moment. If it turns out to have even half the number of great games the DS had/has, then I'll be over the moon with it. Am up to 92 DS games now (only 89 are complete with boxes/manuals though, and there's also three games I have doubles of, argh!), and there's still loads of amazing games I haven't gotten my hands on yet.

Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    Am up to 92 DS games now.

Wow! That must be one expensive collection seeing as you can't exactly pick them up cheap like Megadrive games or something. Would love to see some pics.

Wow! That must be one expensive collection seeing as you can't exactly pick them up cheap like Megadrive games or something. Would love to see some pics.

Will see if I can get some pics tonight, am tempted to wait until I hit 100 though! Expensive enough I suppose, but has been over the entire lifespan of the console. Also making a point of picking up games that I'm predicting will be troublesome to get hold of in the future.

I don't think the games industry lacks originality, except in really really high budget games (and you still have very enjoyable stuff like Uncharted in that category). Sure, there's a bit of a trend towards re-releases at the moment - particularly notable on 3DS where there's a distinct lack of originals at the moment, although a handful on the horizon (I can't complain - apparently I'm getting a 3DS for free!). But I still think there's a tonne of original, exciting games out there - many of them independent and downloadable, but also a lot of imaginative retail releases (from Child of Eden to Sin & Punishment). It's all a matter of where you look.

The major markets are full of generic military shooter. But mainstream cinema is full of generic crap too. Originality is always there, sometimes well hidden, but it's there. Going into Gamestop won't always yield originality (although good to see something like Portal 2 a resounding commercial and artistic success) but every so often something like Dark Souls will gloriously populate their shelves :)

Let me put it this way, they're much harder to find these days. In the mid 90's, you could walk into Virgin Megastore & waiting to greet you would be Super Mario World, Super SF2, Sonic 2, Zelda 3, & shelf loads of high quality, original releases (with an equal amount of crap too, that never changes). Today its so much harder to find the diamonds in the rough. Yes there's more games as such, so inevitably there's more crap, but I genuinely believe devs/coders/houses & labels are getting lazier & lazier.

All credit to solid indy releases, but it shouldn't be a quest to find a good quality game. Maybe I was just spoiled I dunno.

Here's photos of just my SHMUP'S with a video of other stuff to follow tomorrow.

Latest pickups in my collection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Lovin' them imports!

Lovin' them imports!

Thanks. I scored a few more today from .jp retailers, one is an absolute corker (though not a SHMUP).

Picked up The Warriors for PS2 today too for just 99p plus P&P from UK. I've wanted that game for YEARS. Love the movie, one of my faves.

For the record, Einhander was the title I mentioned before that I thought was a beaut. It's complete with spine card too so yay! :)

Einhander is suppposed to be brilliant and is one game I must try out someday.

Yep I bought it on the strength of a YouTube video I saw and the fan made Einhander 2 dev videos.

Hard to believe Squaresoft were responsible for it! Got it for a bargain from Japan too, the shipping was fine. Not had any problems so far.

I'm trying hard to source as much NTSC-J as I can, but when the cheaper PAL release has a 60hz mode I feel I have to draw the line somewhere. Lots of nice NTSC-J out there though still to collect and of course eventually replace my PAL releases with.

I try buy Jap where I can too. No particular reason, I just want to :)

• Advertisement

I've played a lot of Einhander. I blame o1s1n.

Master of the Universe

I've played a lot of Einhander. I blame o1s1n.

Of all the things I've been blamed for, that's probably one of the better ones :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's just dawned on me that Einhander could be interpreted as One Hander. No two player mode alas.

Sorry.

Superb game though, one of the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's just dawned on me that Einhander could be interpreted as One Hander.

Eh that's what they were going for. It means one handed because the ship has one hand for grabbing weapons. It all makes sense now.

Master of the Universe

It's just dawned on me that Einhander could be interpreted as One Hander. No two player mode alas.

Sorry.

Superb game though, one of the best.

Apparantly it's referring to a one handed sword - which is the gun arm thing on your ship.

I am aware of the weapon arm. I, however, was just thinking smuttily :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Let me put it this way, they're much harder to find these days. In the mid 90's, you could walk into Virgin Megastore & waiting to greet you would be Super Mario World, Super SF2, Sonic 2, Zelda 3, & shelf loads of high quality, original releases (with an equal amount of crap too, that never changes). Today its so much harder to find the diamonds in the rough. Yes there's more games as such, so inevitably there's more crap, but I genuinely believe devs/coders/houses & labels are getting lazier & lazier.

All credit to solid indy releases, but it shouldn't be a quest to find a good quality game. Maybe I was just spoiled I dunno.

I think people don't realise that there was as much absolute gash released back in the good old days as there was now. Plenty of unoriginal titles as well and genre pandering. When we look back at what game old consoles had we are looking back at the catalogue of the entire consoles lifespan and filtering out the crap. When we look at the current generation it seems sparse since we are waiting on the next big release. There's also the fact that we aren't anywhere near finished with this generation of consoles and also another biggie, the best games in a consoles lifecycle don't come until the end. Just look at what's happening on the DS and PSP. So for me gaming now isn't better than the old days but it's also not any worse.

I am aware of the weapon arm. I, however, was just thinking smuttily :(

I'm more of a two handed power **** guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So for me gaming now isn't better than the old days but it's also not any worse.
    i belive the effect is called growing up :).

• Advertisement

So here's a couple of pics of my current DS collection. Sorry if it's a bit blurry and therefore hard to recognise particular titles (takes up more floor space than I was anticipating), but I'll identify any that people can't recognise. There's also a couple of more close-up shots here:
    http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430/RonanDyasMurphy/

DS2-1.jpg

DS4.jpg

Master of the Universe

One word - awesome! :) You have some fantastic stuff in there.

So many DS titles I need to pick up and (probably) never play - Strange Journey, Radiant Historia etc... I also really want the other Taiko games (have the same one as you) but they're super expensive!

Anyway, damn good collection!

(Also glad to see I'm not the only one to score a copy of Soul Bubbles in CEX!)

Very nice! Loving the .jp titles. :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think people don't realise that there was as much absolute gash released back in the good old days as there was now. Plenty of unoriginal titles as well and genre pandering. When we look back at what game old consoles had we are looking back at the catalogue of the entire consoles lifespan and filtering out the crap. When we look at the current generation it seems sparse since we are waiting on the next big release. There's also the fact that we aren't anywhere near finished with this generation of consoles and also another biggie, the best games in a consoles lifecycle don't come until the end. Just look at what's happening on the DS and PSP. So for me gaming now isn't better than the old days but it's also not any worse.

Oh I realise that, & pre-empted it :D I always found the quality balanced out the rubbish though back then. That harmonious balance is lost today.

@ghostchant

th_picture_0288.jpg

Nice.

• Advertisement

Oh I realise that, & pre-empted it :D I always found the quality balanced out the rubbish though back then. That harmonious balance is lost today.

I think the NES had more crap on it that any console ever! Although saying that the NES's crappy titles have a certain charm to them.

Yeah the other pics are from a while ago, have quite a bit more now but laziness stops me from taking more pics. When back from Tokyo I might update the pics of the full collection :)

Just to round up the collection / room tidy:

30xeruh.jpg

kajvuo.jpg

14bky1x.jpg

118f8cg.jpg

Nice! Like the use of the alternate Sin & Punishment cover :) Really need to pick up the Ys PSP games

As Ghostchant mentioned it's just the alternate cover that comes with S&P 2. It looks much better than the standard one!

(Oh, the post that refers to seems to have disappeared! Ninja!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

As Ghostchant mentioned it's just the alternate cover that comes with S&P 2. It looks much better than the standard one!

(Oh, the post that refers to seems to have disappeared! Ninja!)
    What post are you on about...? No such post exists!

*whistles while walking away*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

ghostchant wrote: »
    So here's a couple of pics of my current DS collection. Sorry if it's a bit blurry and therefore hard to recognise particular titles (takes up more floor space than I was anticipating), but I'll identify any that people can't recognise. There's also a couple of more close-up shots here:
    http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430/RonanDyasMurphy/

Is that my copy of Okamiden I see there!:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Re: Nes having lousy games,
    The PS2 was the same, the low floor for developers meant that for little investment any outfit could create an exploitative piece of crap, a rubbish licence, a dreadful wanna-be title.
    But at the same time it meant that auteurs could produce games on it and focus on the game they wanted to make rather than worry about the size of the dev team or the cost of the hardware.
    So while we got Crash and Army Men, we also got Global Defence Force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

The PS2 and the NES have a really similar story, they both got very mainstream making their respective markets a one horse race, opening the door to all sorts of crap. To be fair to them both, they did manage to come out with some amazing titled later in the timeline, like the NES had star tropics, its sequel(the name of which escapes me) and the Kirby games.

The poor wii has just become a dumping ground though, which is really sad as i enjoy the interface.

paperwork wrote: »
    The poor wii has just become a dumping ground though, which is really sad as i enjoy the interface.

Sad but true. Gone the way of the DS in terms of Shovelware unfortunately. Lots of nice gems to pick up on both machines though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Sad but true. Gone the way of the DS in terms of Shovelware unfortunately. Lots of nice gems to pick up on both machines though.

Oh I would argue that the DS is a little closer to the PS2/NES end of the spectrum... but now that i say that... I cant think of a good game that came out since Pokemon black/white.

paperwork wrote: »
    Oh I would argue that the DS is a little closer to the PS2/NES end of the spectrum... but now that i say that... I cant think of a good game that came out since Pokemon black/white.

There's been a few from around that time: Ghost Trick, Dragon Quest 6, Monster Tale (USA), Radiant Historia (USA) for starters, and Devil Survivor 2 is coming to the US too. Interestingly I've been hearing good things about Thor (the DS game of the movie, not the movie itself)

http://www.segashiro.com/2011/03/21/segas-thor-ds-title-looks-great/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

need to finish the other wall (which currently has my sms/md games ) but heres how my mancave is laid out, (I need to clean it up a bit and pack away some of the cans of contact cleaner and the like!)
    I've a meg/sms/snes/ps2 and a pc hooked up to a decent size trinitron in another room, so the portable is grand for in here , most of the computers/consoles are hooked up to it )
    641cc83d.jpg

744ac594.jpg
    (bit blurry sorry)
    a2ad0d27.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks outstanding.
    Makes me realise I really need a C64!
    One with a hacked cart, loaded with, well, everything.

Love retro computers, hate retro computer load times!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looks outstanding.
    Makes me realise I really need a C64!
    One with a hacked cart, loaded with, well, everything.

Love retro computers, hate retro computer load times!
    Yeah I went down the pc cable on the c64 bit it's not worth it tbh as it's a pain in the arse . There's a cart that act emulates a diskdrive that works with sd cards apparently .
    I use a pc cable on the Atari 8 bit though and it works brilliantly loads disk images in maybe 20-30 seconds

• Advertisement
Advertisement