Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car towed away(and damaged!)

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

my question is do tow away trucks damage hubcaps?

i bought a 99 opel astra a few weeks ago.it had brand new shiny hubcaps on it,last week cork city council towed it away in circumstances im currently contesting(over where my car was outside my house) and i firmly believe ill get my money back. however my main problem is that 3 of the 4 hubcaps were cracked and the other damaged,i do not believe i caused this.i got the car back from the pound at 11 30pm the nite it was towed and didnt notice anything as i was just glad to get car back,however next morning i noticed the hubcaps damaged.i rang cork city council appaels division who put me onto the pound, i mentioned the hubcaps and they say they take a foto of car before it is towed away.they assured me that the tow away vehicle couldnt have done the damage.

im racking my head with wonder how this has happened, ifirmly believe i didnt do the damage,i like to think im good driver and i hadnt many miles put on it before it got clamped(200) and i definitely think ida noticed before it got towed away that all 3 of my new hubcaps were cracked but i find it hard to believe that the tow truck could have done it but its the only conclusion i can think of?im debating whether or not to go to my solicitor about it,the pound people said write a letter to their public manager(i think thats his title) but i already have the damage mentioned as part of the appeal against it being towed away itself

this ever happen to anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

my question is do tow away trucks damage hubcaps?

i bought a 99 opel astra a few weeks ago.it had brand new shiny hubcaps on it,last week cork city council towed it away in circumstances im currently contesting(over where my car was outside my house) and i firmly believe ill get my money back. however my main problem is that 3 of the 4 hubcaps were cracked and the other damaged,i do not believe i caused this.i got the car back from the pound at 11 30pm the nite it was towed and didnt notice anything as i was just glad to get car back,however next morning i noticed the hubcaps damaged.i rang cork city council appaels division who put me onto the pound, i mentioned the hubcaps and they say they take a foto of car before it is towed away.they assured me that the tow away vehicle couldnt have done the damage.

I can see how they would be broken by the truck. It uses 4 "A" frames that fit under the wheels, and an adjustable bar that is supposed to rest against the outside of the wheel.

Incidentally, they use a bit of old carpet over the wheels when moving "nice" cars, but don't seem to bother for your more average motors. (aren't I very observant...)

They do take a photo, but that doesn't prove much. Its pretty easy to take the photo again after the damage is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

so then its a case of my word against theirs? surely they cant be this lazy when it comes to towing away cars? dam city council......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

as far as i know they take a photo before the car is takenso to show where the car was parked. ive seen in one case the lifter on the truck failed and dropped the car 3-4 feet. the lads working on it just took off the lifting gear and drove off as if nothing happened.

Advertisement