Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths Harder in Recent Years?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

As far as i know its what its called alright!Like i sy its all a matter of perspective when it comes to losing faith....how u choose to look at the problems etc.Its just another window into the same room.Lucky for you!Our teacher is quite the legend!He makes physics interesting for those who are good at it-by humour......yea enough said!who knows you cud be the next witten!although i could NEVER bring myself to look at history again!I actually lost the note, but i e-mailed it to my tp buddy in school so i'll have it bak hopefully tomorrow and you'll defo get it!

:| wrote:
    Eh.......do physics in DCU
    What they have is not quite what i'm after........i looked into physics there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Sound! And I rally don't see that happening, i wonder if there are any other future tpers here. We need to take over(in a nice way of course) more of these maths threads.:D

:D:D yes we should conquer anything thats in anyway roughly related to physics, maths, tp....everything!:D :D i'm gonna try get that guy i was talkin bout to join here to add to our numbers!we should set up a thread for future tpers to talk on........is that possible??:confused:

I believe so, I shall go do it now!!!

• Advertisement

good man!:cool:

Alright its up there now, I expanded it a little to include maths and experimental physics, we can get them to change then!!!hahah

i'll head over!!

where is the forum you set up dan719??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

lemansky wrote:
    What they have is not quite what i'm after........i looked into physics there though

TP as opposed to experimental?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I mean, don't take it that I'm trying to sound elitist. . .

Ok. . .obviously someone else is using JC's account.

*looks at sig*
    Uhhhh, maybe not. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

looks like we've got Invasion of the Topic Snatchers again, you maths/physics junkies are all over the place these days, hard to believe a topic I created started this much discussion on things I've no idea about :rolleyes:

Its definately not topic snatching, its more a progression. And in fairness everyone has had their say about leaving cert maths at this stage.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I actually disagree with you because i thought the 2006 paper was actually very doable. however the 2003 paper was a disaster. a well it looks for 2007 to be really hard anyway. by the way who is that person who made up the paper? does he teach in the institute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

sd123 wrote:
    I actually disagree with you because i thought the 2006 paper was actually very doable. however the 2003 paper was a disaster. a well it looks for 2007 to be really hard anyway. by the way who is that person who made up the paper? does he teach in the institute?

why does it look for the 07 paper to be really hard?

Don't know his name, my grinds teacher is good friends with him... apparently he worked with the Central Bank for the last few years, or something, he only taught maths for 4 years of his life and in a very studious/bright school... last years papers were marked up in a big way as a result of his paper however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I actually reckon that this year might be okay in a few areas, I think after the abuse they got for the Trig last year that they will just put in a regular question.

Last years paper made you have to really think and drew aspects from different sections in questions. And it's alright sitting here and saying ya could do them but when your in their and you have 2 hours 30 minutes to do your paper for your LC, you don't have much time to do indepth thinking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I actually reckon that this year might be okay in a few areas, I think after the abuse they got for the Trig last year that they will just put in a regular question.

Last years paper made you have to really think and drew aspects from different sections in questions. And it's alright sitting here and saying ya could do them but when your in their and you have 2 hours 30 minutes to do your paper for your LC, you don't have much time to do indepth thinking ;)
    There was no indepth thinking involved, there were only 2 groups who were at a disadvantage:
    1)Those who left out sections of the course.
    2)Those who learned maths by drilling how to do specific questions into their heads rather than viewing it as an application of logic.

Naikon wrote:
    TP as opposed to experimental?
    Yes the actual details of the courses indicate that tcd suits my interests more.I searched through loads of courses in dcu, ucd, NUIM,tcd, loads of places but tp in tcd appealed most to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

JC 2K3 wrote:
    There was no indepth thinking involved, there were only 2 groups who were at a disadvantage:
    1)Those who left out sections of the course.
    2)Those who learned maths by drilling how to do specific questions into their heads rather than viewing it as an application of logic.

Well i suppose that's what the problem is with maths these days, i was never taught it in a way in which it was an application of logic, it was just taught as a subject for my leaving cert where you must answer x questions and x question is this and x question is that. I actually do not understand what i am doing but i can say that 95% of my classmates do not either.

I suppose that's why in College when one must carry out more detailed maths problems they fail, just because they were never taught.

For example with Physics, i was never taught Physics, downloaded those examsupport grinds and i don't even know at what standard the teacher is at but i actually totally understood and enjoyed Physics for the first time ever. It just shows what affect a teacher can have on you. I realise if one was to read the book and study they would understand but for those of us who don't do that having a decent teacher is half the distance. But unfortunately for maths the teachers don't actually teach you what the purpose of the problems are, they just throw them up and get ya to know how to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Exactly what is fundamentally wrong with our education system.
    Last years Maths HL exam is a prime example of that, students going into a test loaded with all the formulas and in what situation to use them. But then when a question comes along phrased a little differently, or asking to show/compute some-thing that is merely a different stage or advancement of the same conditions they are so used to, they are confounded and dumb-struck as to how to do them.

Obviously some people are just unable to understand or comprehend a certain topic etc. that I understand . But what seems to be the case is teachers are unwilling to go in-depth into a topic for fear of 'losing' what little grasp of the concept students have by confusing them. Is it really asking a lot that teachers take that extra time to actually get their students to understand the fundamentals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

i have to say thats a really good point Zobra, i didnt even know what differentiation meant until i started applied maths. Its ridiculous the way maths teachers try to teach you something without knowing what it means. Like try to explain to a HL maths class the rate of change of A with respect to B. Anyway i suppose thats what applied maths,physics/ some chem. are there for.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

My teacher explains stuff pretty well.... Not the same for you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

when doing problems our teacher has the solutions from examinations.ie in hand and writes them out cause she can't do them herself. When querying her further about the understanding all you get is an embarrassed shuffle and your told just learn it off by heart and you'll be grand. the worst thing is the fact that when i was in 4th year the maths/physics teacher retired. He had a phd. in physics and now we got her.:(

Our maths teacher is the definition of a legend. He can cater to all abilities, and always gets everyone throught the exams. His own understanding is amazing also. Although sometimes he uses excessively long methods. Mhh still a legend.:D

Advertisement