Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford & Killkenny "City" forums

Options
  • 12-04-2007 8:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Just curious as to why Wexford and Killkenny are listed as cities when according to the Local Government Act, 2001 - they are counties and not cities? (See: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen962001a.html)

Nothing against either and it doesnt bother me either way, was just wondering why this was the case? Killkenny forum is called Killkenny City, and Wexford forum says its a citie in its description? :S

Could someone clear this up for me? Cheers. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Wexford isn't listed as a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Kilkenny is a city as well as a county. Just like Cork, Limerick, Galway and Sligo.

http://www.kilkenny.ie/eng/About_Kilkenny/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Since when? The state says otherwise...

Im confused. Where is the offical answer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sully wrote:
    Care to mark Co. Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown down on a map and share with the rest of the class? Co. North Tipperary? Co. South Tipperary?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Really struggling to find any reason not to lock this or move it to .. I dunno, the geography forum.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, Wexford is called a city in the forum description, so that much is accurate at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Kilkenny was granted a city charter by James 1. It is governed by a Borough Council, as are Wexford and Sligo. I don't think Wexford claims to be a city, having no known Royal Charter giving it that status. i don't know on what basis Sligo claims to be a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sligo isn't a city.

Some day you will thank me for that piece of useless information.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think its time I revised my Geography, as it seems im very outdated :\

Why bring this up here? Why not raise it in the South East forum?

AFAIK the Wexford Forum was a 'town and county' forum

• Advertisement

Why bring this up here? Why not raise it in the South East forum?

Wasnt a question regarding the south east. It was feedback on a forum, so I thought it was best in the feedback section.
    AFAIK the Wexford Forum was a 'town and county' forum

According to the description...
    Wexford City and County discussion.

If you flick through the proposed wexford forum thread it was refferred to as a Town and County Thread..

Not too sure when Wex became a city!

*shrrugs*

Im reffering to the forum description as it stands now.

As far as I was aware, neither Wexford or Killkenny were officaly cities. At least, according to the legislation. With this knowledge, I came here asking why but it seems (tho I dont know where iv gone lost) my geography is out-dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Kilkenny is officially recognised as having city status.end of story there.

Wexford is a town.
    Sligo is a town.

Sully wrote:
    *shrrugs*

Im reffering to the forum description as it stands now.

As far as I was aware, neither Wexford or Killkenny were officaly cities. At least, according to the legislation. With this knowledge, I came here asking why but it seems (tho I dont know where iv gone lost) my geography is out-dated.

To be honest I never understood how Kilkenny got city status..

Kilkenny is officially recognised as having city status.end of story there.

Not legaly though.. I dont understand the reasons, but its allowed call itself a city anyway. :s

Its listed as a city in the Irish Statute Books. I think someone said it was given city status by royal decree back in 1600?????

So as nobody un-decreed it, a city it is

muffler wrote:
    Its listed as a city in the Irish Statute Books. I think someone said it was given city status by royal decree back in 1600?????

So as nobody un-decreed it, a city it is

Isnt this the Irish Statue Book;
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen962001a.html

Local Government Act 2001.. Cities... Doesnt mention Kilkenny. Although the Waterford forum states that while its not officaly a city, they are allowed call themselves that.

Apologies - I read some other post where it said it was. Obviously not.

Is that the end of the soccer team name so? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Sully wrote:
    Isnt this the Irish Statue Book;
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen962001a.html

Local Government Act 2001.. Cities... Doesnt mention Kilkenny. Although the Waterford forum states that while its not officaly a city, they are allowed call themselves that.
    The same Act includes a provision for allowing Kilkenny to be described as a city.
    see: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA37Y2001S10.html
    The others have city councils while Kilkenny has a borough council.

So it is accurate to use the term Kilkenny City despite the fact that fúck all people live there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This has been brought up on the Kilkenny forum a few times, and always by people from Waterford for some reason until I basically lost patience with them. The bottom line is that although people cling to that local government act as their oracle they just never ever grasp the fact that naming the forum anything else is completely out of the question.

No need to apologise, im as confused as you are :P

While its not legaly a city, someone somewhere stated they are allowed call themselves that. But, its not being developed as a city or receive stuff like a city would - apparently. Just wonder why :S

ecksor wrote:
    The bottom line is that although people cling to that local government act as their oracle

Why wouldnt they? Its fact, is it not? (Im now aware Kilkenny can be called a city as a result of the provision in the act).
    they just never ever grasp the fact that naming the forum anything else is completely out of the question.

Well obviously if Kilkenny is allowed be called a city, then I dont see the problem. If its not, I dont see why it should be.. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Sully wrote:
    Why wouldnt they? Its fact, is it not?

Did you believe that boards was breaking the law in naming the forum? Did you believe we were behaving unethically for violating your interpretation of the act? If I had said that it is not boards policy to consult government legislation in the naming of our forums, would you have objected?
    Well obviously if Kilkenny is allowed be called a city, then I dont see the problem. If its not, I dont see why it should be.. :)

I don't see a problem either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Limerick's still a city? Then the Census Conspiracy was unsuccessful. Goddarnit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

ecksor wrote:
    This has been brought up on the Kilkenny forum a few times, and always by people from Waterford for some reason until I basically lost patience with them. The bottom line is that although people cling to that local government act as their oracle they just never ever grasp the fact that naming the forum anything else is completely out of the question.

from reading through the posts above, I reckon thats whats happening in this thread too.

You gotta love their persistance though!

How about we start questioning why Belview Co.Kilkenny is called 'Port of Waterford'! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is this because Kilkenny keeps beating Waterford in the hurling? :) I think Kilkenny should give Waterford some of its land to make up for things ;)

ecksor wrote:
    Did you believe that boards was breaking the law in naming the forum? Did you believe we were behaving unethically for violating your interpretation of the act? If I had said that it is not boards policy to consult government legislation in the naming of our forums, would you have objected?

Why has such a simple question turned into criticism and suggestions of my dislike towars Kilkenny?

I asked the question as to why BOTH Kilkenny and Wexford were reffered to as cities when according to government legislation, they are not (or so I thought originaly). I would find it rather strange as to why Boards call a place a city, if it is not. Its all about facts and ficition - I would think it would be wrong for boards to be misleading in someway (not saying they are, but im saying IF they were).

It seems a lot of people from Waterford dont like Kilkenny people and visa-versa. Me, I dont care. It doesnt bother me. It was a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Wexford "city" was a mistake that the forum creator made. Fixing his geography knowledge, and the title.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement