Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of tree is this...?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody can help identify a tree at the end of my garden as it was here when I moved in. It never really sheds any leaves and it has purple flowers a lot of the time - but more so in the spring / summer.

I've no idea what attention it requires, so any pointers to identify it would be appreciated... Cheers!

Tree-3.jpg

Tree-2.jpg

Tree-1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Can't see the intended graphic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Can't see the intended graphic?
    Ooops, sorry. You should be able to see them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For some reason I can't see the images but it does sound like a Ceanothus or Californian Lilac. It doesn't require any special attention but be careful about pruning as it will not grow back from pruning and can be left very bare as a result.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It might be a mys-tree.
    Ahaha
    I love me.
    Mys-tree? geddit? Huh?

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah looks like a Californian Lilac to me, i tried to grow one year but for some reason it died during the winter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Cheers guys, much appreciated!! :):)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

lovely tree, is that a deep rooted tree lads and would it grow in relatively dry and well drained ground? It would look nice out the front of our house I think, or would I be daft!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

irishbird wrote:
    yeah looks like a Californian Lilac to me, i tried to grow one year but for some reason it died during the winter :(

All the leaves are brown - All the leaves are brown
    And the sky is gray - And the sky is gray
    I've been for a walk - I've been for a walk
    On a winter's day - On a winter's day
    I'd be safe and warm - I'd be safe and warm
    If I was in L.A. - If I was in L.A.
    California dreaming - California dreaming
    On such a winter's day

Listen to Mama Cass (nice tree by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

yop wrote:
    lovely tree, is that a deep rooted tree lads and would it grow in relatively dry and well drained ground? It would look nice out the front of our house I think, or would I be daft!!!!
    It's more a large shrub than a tree. The roots are not particularly deep and the planting conditions are:
    Soil:Alkaline or Neutral. Moist but well-drained or well-drained. Clay, Loam or Sand.

Aspect:East, West or South facing. Sheltered.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Yes it's a Californian lilac or Ceanothus....And lucky you has beautiful one..Many fail because they are not very winter hardy, although some varieties are hardier than others. The deciduous (shed leaves in autumn) group are supposed to be hardier than the evergreen group, so you are particularly lucky.

Likes well drained soil in warm site (not exposed to wind frost)
    Little or no pruning required for evergreen variety, if you want to trim it up a bit march is the time of year..
    you can plant cuttings in summer if you want more plants..

Advertisement