Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck Breast

• 12-04-2007 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

I was hoping for peoples opinions on what to marinate/add with duck breast. I can cook the duck absolutely perfect, and like to add a lot of grounded pepper+salt, occasionally with bbq sauce. But im looking for other ideas to give duck that extra taste. I tried vinegar+wine which wasnt great.

I was also curious what should i do with it, was thinking of a kinda creamy potatoe + french beans.Stumped for ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A bit of 5-spice instead of or with the salt&pepper works a treat.

Not to mention the classic duck a l'orange.

You can also get pretty close to Cantonese duck even working with just a duck-breast.

To be honset, I don't tend to do too much with duck when I do duck. It tastes so good on its own, I'd rather have it rarely and simply-done, rather than more often to teh point where I need massive variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

marinade for duck (honey and fresh ginger works really well ) (coriander and lemon and soy sauce) (cointreau and small amount of green chilli )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

thanks for your opinions. i wanna be able to make a perfect dinner for two with duck breasts and some side dish. god i love duck lol

what do you guys use the duck fat for? i hear its great for potatoes or things like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

what do you guys use the duck fat for? i hear its great for potatoes or things like that?

I thought that was goose fat?

I don't re-use my duck-fat, generally speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

bonkey wrote:
    I thought that was goose fat?

I don't re-use my duck-fat, generally speaking.

Duck fat, goose fat, chicken fat, lamb fat (best for roasties) ... it's all good.
    Some better than others.

• Advertisement

could be goose fat also, but from the cook books i have they all say that duck fat is damn good+not to be wasted. can also buy some in a glass,just deciding how to use it.

im trying to make the perfect duck dish,alas im still wondering what to add with some sexy medium rare duck breast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why not cook the entire duck? You will get the breasts, legs and a whole heap of duckfat for the same price as 2 duck breasts?
    as an accompaniment, to duck which is quite rich, I like something sharp like a salsa verde with plenty of coriander and perhaps some rice?

yeah gonna get a full duck next time im shopping. stupid Q but are you supposed to cook that medium rare like duck breasts?

dunno bout salsa verde,never had it but it looks disgusting! actually i put some duck fat on potatoes for dinner earlier and it seemed to add a nice taste to em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have the idea of duck confit in my head - I'll prod Minder, he does something involving duck confit and duck legs and duck generally and then does something else cassoulet-ish with the whole lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Duck with pineapple and ginger is one of my favourites, I had it in Tiger Becs on Dawson St, myself and the missus reproduced it at home.

The sauce is a sweet and sour type, I serve it with rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When using duckfat make roasties using the duckfat, the taste is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

what do you guys use the duck fat for?

Roast some garlic cloves in it. The garlic goes so sweet n soft its just lush.

K-

Advertisement