Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wakeboarding

Options
  • 12-04-2007 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hey

Can someone settle an argument? How popular is wakeboarding in Ireland as opposed to say surfing which is growing at a large rate.

Thanks in advance,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive never heard of wakeboarding in Ireland at all actually.. In England ive seen it on tv and stuf.. I think its mainly America?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bastack

I wake board on the Shannon Most summers and have seen many people doing it there. There are even a few wakeboard schools around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

There was a red bull sponsored comp on the river lee a few years back,that time I never heard of wakeboarding.
    I believe they do it on Iniscarra lake near Farren woods in Co,Cork never seen it but there is a water ski club there so they are simular in the way being pulled behind a speed boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Its getting popular around the midlands. Also wakeboard on the shannon anywhere from athlone to Banagher. I started bout 3 years ago. Love it! Great pass time. Its a bit expensive - but costs alot less than smoking and skulling pints a few nights a week.

Hey Bastak, where abouts are yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bastack

Living in Dublin but we usually head down to lough Ree or th inner lakes around Athlone. How about you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Its popular enough. Just not huge. As someone already mentioned, it cost a bit to do.. I used to do it regularly when i lived in sligo but now in dublin its harder to get time. Having a boat and the equipment is the hard part. after that its just time and a few to do it with.

Compared to surfing thou, surfing wins out hands down. more ppl into it and its easier and cheaper to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

We use a nice straight stretch of the river about 2 miles down from athlone - half way between Athlone and Clonmacnoise. Depending on the weather, we get out a few evenings a week and weekends.
    It would be nice to get a group together sometime... just to share a few ideas, etc. It would be nice to know who in the area is at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Conor Chong

I've a wakeboard, but unfortunately, i've no rib.

Used to use a friends down in cork during the summer but when we went to collage, got jobs kinda lost contact with him.

If you wanna get a group together i'd gladdly be invovled, chip in for the mix, i've even got a towbar on me van if you need to tow the rib some wheres

Advertisement