Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3-4 Lane Motorways: Rules?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Ok, my local motorway is a 4-laner. I generally treat it as: far right for trucks and exiters. Middle 2 a la an Irish motorway. Far left for Germans in a hurry home at 150+. Is this close to correct?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

when the right lane is free - drive always right!!! if there's any truck just overtake it and come back to the right. this is the rule!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Taking into account that the OP is in Belgium they should be in the leftmost lane doing between 70 and 80% of the speed limit.

a la an Irish motorway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

kbannon wrote:
    Taking into account that the OP is in Belgium they should be in the leftmost lane doing between 70 and 80% of the speed limit.

a la an Irish motorway! :D

Do the Germans not drive on the 'wrong' side?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DeBeere wrote:
    Do the Germans not drive on the 'wrong' side?

2 flaws with your post. 1) Belgians are not German (and vice versa) and 2) your humour/sarcasm/kbannon detector is broken.;)

Ever wish you could take back a post? :rolleyes:

Cause I do..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

qazz wrote:
    when the right lane is free - drive always right!!! if there's any truck just overtake it and come back to the right. this is the rule!!!
    Really? I always thought on a 4 lane motorway, the middle ones where for driving, as the OP said. The only time ever being on one was in America, and I noticed people only really used the right lane for when they're exit was coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Without having a rules of the road to hand, any "good practice" driving book I've ever seen, advocates using the driving lane (i.e. closest to the edge of the road) for slower vehicles - trucks, cars pulling trailers, slow bikes, etc, using the centre lane for normal driving, and the outside lane for overtaking only. More-or-less the same as a two-lane carriageway, except that you now have a tertiary lane for slow-moving vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stekelly wrote:
    1) Belgians are not German (and vice versa) and
    Actually, Belgium does have a German community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-speaking_Community_of_Belgium

seamus wrote:
    Without having a rules of the road to hand, any "good practice" driving book I've ever seen, advocates using the driving lane (i.e. closest to the edge of the road) for slower vehicles - trucks, cars pulling trailers, slow bikes, etc, using the centre lane for normal driving, and the outside lane for overtaking only. More-or-less the same as a two-lane carriageway, except that you now have a tertiary lane for slow-moving vehicles.
    I'm fairly certain for the American roads (I know the OP is talking about Belgium) that trucks are recommended to stay in the middle lanes, can't remember why but I remember reading that somewhere and it gave a reason just can't remember it.

Although I agree with what your saying, it does make sense to have all slow traffic on the inner lane.

Victor wrote:
    Actually, Belgium does have a German community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-speaking_Community_of_Belgium
    But obviously Belgians are Belgians???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They drive on the right in Belgium.
    Tony_Danza wrote:
    But obviously Belgians are Belgians???

Well there are different subcultures depending on what country you're nearest. Like there's "French Belgium" to the South where they all speak French, and there's "Dutch Belgium" to the North where they all speak Flemish, a variant of Dutch.

The rules for a 3 lane motorway are that the lane nearest the centre is for overtaking only, just like a 2-lane motorway. You should be in the lane furthest the edge if it's clear and you don't have to overtake anyway in the middle lane. If there are slow vehicles in the "slow lane", then you can remain in the middle lane; you don't have to be moving in and out of the slow traffic like you would if there was only 2 lanes.

Stark wrote:
    Well there are different subcultures depending on what country you're nearest. Like there's "French Belgium" to the South where they all speak French, and there's "Dutch Belgium" to the North where they all speak Flemish, a variant of Dutch.
    I don't know why I'm replying to this since it's going completely off topic. I'm aware of how the Belgian culture is made up, but Belgians are Belgians, obviously there are some German Belgians and so on, as there is Irish Americans, but I'd imagine the vast majority consider themselves Belgian and nothing else!! They just happen to speak German, French, Dutch, whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tony Danza wrote:
    I don't know why I'm replying to this since it's going completely off topic. I'm aware of how the Belgian culture is made up, but Belgians are Belgians, obviously there are some German Belgians and so on, as there is Irish Americans, but I'd imagine the vast majority consider themselves Belgian and nothing else!! They just happen to speak German, French, Dutch, whatever!
    Still off topic, but there are actually quite some cultural differences between people from the different areas of Belgium, despite them all being Belgian. You'd be hard put to distinguish a Belgian from the German speaking part from a real German if you met them. You can even tell when you get to the German speaking part, since all the houses 'look' German somehow. And try to convince someone from the Vlaams Blok (a right wing Flemish political party) that he's 'just a Belgian' and I wouldn't fancy your chances :)

What have I started!

If Ireland gets a 4 lane motorway(presumming there already isn't one!), it is going to be chaotic.

Advertisement