Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista or still use xp

• 12-04-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Well i think XP really hit the nail on the head, dont get me wrong Vista is very beautiful to look at but i find theirs too much crap on the screen. Firstly the huge icons (yes the size can be changed) but the gadgets on the size of the screen are not v helpful. Dont get me wrong im sure improvements will be made over time but i think some of the optional eye candy could be calmed down

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yep, I'll stick with XP for the foreseeable future. If I wasn't pretty visuals and gadgets I'll buy an Apple.

There seems to be considerable resistance to Vista in companies, noy just home users. Certainly where I work Vista and Office 2007 are not recommended or supported by our IT department simply because there is no practical reason to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

I've had my Vista for 5 days and it's perfect. You adapt to it really quickly. The virus warnings ae a bit annoying at first though.

Oh I don't doubt that Vista is easy to use or is any way inferior to XP (or even 2000), its just not worth the upgrade, yet.

vista is good, but it uses up alot more ram than xp. Ububtu is good, anyone use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

vista is good, but it uses up alot more ram than xp. Ububtu is good, anyone use it?
    vista utilizes ram in a totally new way than what xp does.

if you have a specific need for vista or you like to have the latest everything or you a getting as part of a system build then get it, otherwise there's no real point spending the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

With XP and other prior version, it was common for the system to slow down over time. This is not meant to happen with Vista. Don't ask me how.

I read on Slashdot today that Dell will be acquiring OEM copies of XP [on some systems, at least] until the end of the year when Microsoft will no longer be dishing out XP.

I'd say go for Vista if it supports all your hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just set up dual boot and you have more options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

My sister bought a dell laptop that came with vista and only 512mb ram. I used it to set wireless broadband for her. The computer ran unbelievably slow . It was more like an old 286/386 pc. I told her to contact dell and buy more ram as while microsoft say vista will work on 512mb it is recommended you get 1/2 Gb

Anyone else have vista and 512mb problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

For most people with existing systems using XP and don't have DX10 graphics cards, I'd say stick with WinXP. Only if you're getting a new setup should you consider Vista if your software and hardware will work on it.

-

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

got a duo core 1.6ghz, 1gb ram and at this time and moment with outlook, IE7 and Access open its at 68% ram usuage (cpu 1 @ 5%, CPU 2 @ 7%)

been using vista for about 8months now and since the only problem i've had was with adobe(fixed now thankfully)..

personally i wouldnt go back to xp. the search engine (apple ripoff) is great and its just a more pleasant experience as a whole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i had vista on a x6800 with 2gig of ram for 2 months, and reinstalled xp yesterday, its such a breath of fresh air,
    so much faster to boot or run apps
    much more colorful, everything is dark brown in vista
    all my apps and hardware work again,
    no more BSOD's,
    pc sits quitly when i am not using it
    no admin security pop ups, i bet everyone just okay's them without reading them

Tivoli wrote:
    i had vista on a x6800 with 2gig of ram for 2 months, and reinstalled xp yesterday, its such a breath of fresh air,
    so much faster to boot or run apps
    much more colorful, everything is dark brown in vista
    all my apps and hardware work again,
    no more BSOD's,
    pc sits quitly when i am not using it
    no admin security pop ups, i bet everyone just okay's them without reading them

I can imagine moving to Vista (I suppose I'll be forced to eventually :rolleyes: ) when all those annoyances are ironed out. Alternatively if I buy a new machine I'll stick my copy of XP on it and stick linux on this old thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I'll buy Vista right after I sign up for second-life. :rolleyes:
    Anyone for hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I dunno, I mean I'm willing to give Vista a shot, I have to use it eventually because of Direct X10..

But jeez.. the fact that MSN messenger doesnt work is a bit odd..>:/ The entire graphics view is a bit odd.. I really thought that if I got Vista I could strip away all the useless stuff and have it on a XP theme.. o_O but nope.. it looks like windows 98 if you go into classic mode. Also dont like the start menu how all the programs are so oddly laid out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Ububtu is good, anyone use it?
    Use kubuntu all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I bought a PC on adverts.ie with Vista Ultimate installed.
    I really didn't like Vista, the icons really dumbed down everything.
    I switched the interface back to the "classic" Windows look for menus, control panels etc.

Now and again, a program wanted to display a simple message dialog box, but for some reason Vista first asked me to change display modes, brought me to a blank screen with the original programs dialog box, I clicked on it, and it brought me back to the Vista desktop window. Absolutely Horrific....

Booting up, I was left with a blank screen for a worryingly long time.
    At least XP has a logo / splash screen to show it's doing something....
    I've a 3.2Ghz Intel P4, 1.5Gb of RAM and a X1900 graphics card, it ain't slow.

I accidently messed up the Vista install, when I tried installing XP on another partition, but I don't miss it at all..... am back using XP Pro.
    I don't have Vista DVDs so I can't reinstall.... but it's no great loss to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

afaik if you buy a PC with Vista .. you are licenced to run an older equivalent OS without licencing issues??. It was this way with Office anyway.

If it's true.. then you can buy vista, install XP and upgrade the OS in a years time when another 2GB of RAM is 50c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ive got:
    XP Pro on my home desktop - Athlon XP 3200+ / 1.5Gb RAM
    XP Home on the laptop - Celeron M 360 / 1.5Gb RAM
    Vista Business edition in work - Core Duo 1.86GHz / 1Gb RAM

Not to put too fine a point on it but Vista sucks. Slow as fcuk to boot, to open anything, even to use the most basic applications.

Having said that though, the Vista one is a Dell which hasn't yet been churned through the crap cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Running vista home premium fine, nearly all the everyday programs that most ppl are only going to use work fine. Firefox, Nero, Autogk, Windows Media Player, Vlc etc. Boots fine for me, have the media center to startup when i turn on pc and its up in no time. If i knew someone who was getting a laptop/pc and didnt play games then i'd tell them to get vista with it as there gonna have to get it sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

If i knew someone who was getting a laptop/pc and didnt play games then i'd tell them to get vista with it as there gonna have to get it sometime.

Perhaps not. XP will be supported until 2011 IIRC, Vista really seems to be only a stop gap operating system and probably won't have near as long a life as XP. As such we should see another new Microsoft OS before the support life of XP runs out.

• Advertisement

In an interview I read with Bill Gates (of Hell) in New Scientist recently he was already trying to promote the vista replacement!

i read here that they started working on it before they realised vista, but if vista does an "xp sp0" they will have to push put their deadlines :D

so they want us to buy vista even though it has nothing new over xp (compare to 2k->xp), and then buy its replacement, fook them, i might go back to win95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Just like there working on the next version of the xbox.....

Ppl were probably saying the same thing when xp came out. For the average user, vista will probably work for 100% for everything they usually use their pc for by the end of the year if not already, so why bother getting xp if you get vista with your new pc. XP could be supported till 2020, doesnt mean every program that comes out in a few years is gonna have an xp version or support xp. Give it a few yrs and everybody who thinks vista is heap of junk, will be running it waiting for the long delayed next OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

J
    Ppl were probably saying the same thing when xp came out. For the average user, vista will probably work for 100% for everything they usually use their pc for by the end of the year if not already, so why bother getting xp if you get vista with your new pc.

A lot of people never moved from Windows 2000! I have one such computer that is doing exactly was is required of it and it will never see XP or VIsta.

Indeed I was using a 486 laptop with Windows 3.1 up to 2003!

Each successive version of windows seems to require exponentially more processing power to do the same work. It makes no sense to upgrade if what you have does what is asked of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

I've been reading that there have been some problems with Vista, and some posts on this thread about Vista troubles don't surprise me.

XP works - and very nicely too, it does just about everything most people need it to do and I expect it will continue to do so for some time to come.

Like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for me, I intend to continue using Windows XP for the forseeable future. There is no need for me to 'upgrade,' though I might consider it after upgrading my hardware.

I've just had a read through Microsofts 100 reasons page, and I can't find a single compelling reason why I should get Vista... at least not until they eventually drag me, kicking and screaming, with DX10.

Tabbed browsing... wooOOoo innovative :rolleyes:

I have to apologise, me pc kept blue screened while converting 5 42min divx files to dvd (was only going to take 45mins thanks to the x6800)

anyway ran a few checks and found me memory was giving problems, so i plugged in the fan in the side of the case and its converting fine now,

guess the bsod's were not vistas fault (it was just harder on ram)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

THe advice I will give to anyone, is wait until after Christmas for service pack 1 to come out for vista. with that, vista should be up to its game. but for the time being, xp is a far better choice because there are just too many problems with vista at the moment. (i was running vista ultimate for a while, as much as i love it and think its so much sleeker and modern, its just not firing on all cylinders as as of yet)

so stick with xp till cristmas, and just get urself some themes for xp if you're getting bored with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've just had a read through Microsofts 100 reasons page, and I can't find a single compelling reason why I should get Vista... at least not until they eventually drag me, kicking and screaming, with DX10.

Tabbed browsing... wooOOoo innovative :rolleyes:
    some of those reasons are about IE7 which you can get on XP. how is that a reason to switch to vista :confused:

• Advertisement

some of those reasons are about IE7 which you can get on XP. how is that a reason to switch to vista :confused:
    I know! I lost count of the number of times I responded (in my head) with "yawn, I can already do that... neeext."

Advertisement