Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File in use error, but what's using it?

• 12-04-2007 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few files on my computer of various sorts that I can't delete normally because I'm told that the files are in use. One of them, for example, is movie file (.avi) that I was trying to put subtitles on. I was using Virtual Dub, and basically it made a huge file at the end, so I wanted to delete it.

But when I delete it, I'm told that it's in use. Virtual Dub is closed down and even after restarts, I can't delete it. I eventually deleted it from the cmd prompt, which is a little annoying.

Anyway, my question: Is there any way of finding out what program is using a file, after you're told that the file is in use? And also, is there an easier way of deleting these files?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The easy way to delete files like that is to boot into safe mode - press f8 at the start of the boot sequence. Then you can delete almost anything.

Not being able to delete files you should normally be able to delete can sometimes be an indication of a virus or spyware/malware etc, so make sure your anti-virus is up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Blackhorse Slim pretty much said it all. Files in use can be a sign of malware problems. If you want to delete the files get a program like Killbox! or HijackThis, they can delete those files easily.

Also scan your pc in safe mode with an anti-virus and anti-spyware program.

Advertisement