Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head Gasket trouble

Options
  • 12-04-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

I believe I have trouble with my head gasket. Between 2500rpm and 3000rpm there is a wheezing noise as I take accelerate. When taking off I've got to use the clutch a bit longer than I'd like up to about 2000rpm otherwise the car will become jumpy as if it's in the wrong gear. Amazingly I passed my driving test in it on Good Friday. Examiner told me if I'd of gotten one more blue mark on the gears I'd have failed:eek:

Anyway the car is a 98 1242cc Fiat Punto(cue laughter) however it's my first car and I just bought it because insurance was lower on one at the time. So is it worth bringing to a garage to get fixed or am I better off selling it for scrap which would kill me because it's in great condition baring the gasket.

And finally any idea roughly on the cost of a replacement job??

P.S I should post the first 2 paragraphs in PI

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Fiat puntos are notorious for blowing head gaskets. You would definitely know if it the head gasket was gone if the engine oil was milky grey, bubbles coming up through the expansion bottle or radiator, losing water, steam and temperature rising significantly. Im not sure how much the job would cost but im sure nearly every mechanic in the country has done one before. Its worth getting several quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

cheers for that, i'll have a look round and see how much, head gaskets usually cost around €800 or so ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

i cant see it as a head gasket problem. it would be overheating and dropping in water if it was. id say check the hoses for the air filter or the exhaust.
    btw it would cost around the €800 mark depending on going to a dealer or local garage

sorry I neglected to mention that when I leave the engine running the temp reaches the 3/4 mark or more, when I drive it for a couple of mins it drops back down to about halfway.

The air filter and oil filter were changed last thurs by my dad, best bet is to go get it sorted by a pro I guess. Appreciate the advice lads I'll have my dad have a quick check of the exhaust and pipes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yeah sounds to me like a head gasket. And as people have said, FIAT's are known for it. Can i ask, whats the mileage like on the car. It will set you back between 600-800 to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You sure your Fan is working as well? The fact that when sitting idle it rise that much would indicate fan not kicking in when it should. Could be a faulty coolent temp sensor too. This over heating would lead to a blown headgasket.

And dont get ripped off by a garage. Part wouldn't cost more thna 150 - 200 euro. Its all labour, maybe you could find some handy guy to do it for few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check your coolant level, radiator and hoses first. Let the mechanic tell you the head gasket is gone, don't tell him! No use paying for a big job you may not need, to find you still have the same problem.

I would have thought that a good local mechanic would be a fair bit under €800 for a head gasket job?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

esel wrote:
    I would have thought that a good local mechanic would be a fair bit under €800 for a head gasket job?
    Local small ones would be alright maybe around 400 mark.

But heard stories of garages charging people 1200 and not even fixing it correctly! Just be careful who you go to.

57,000 miles on her, t-belt was changed at 35k was serviced up to 47k when I got it 18 months ago, had my dad do the general servicing bar the spark plugs. Ye cheers for all this info, I may be able to get one of my mates friends to do it for me if needs be. My Dad has used the same 2 mechanics for years now so I'll try those guys too.

Leon11 wrote:
    57,000 miles on her, t-belt was changed at 35k was serviced up to 47k when I got it 18 months ago, had my dad do the general servicing bar the spark plugs. Ye cheers for all this info, I may be able to get one of my mates friends to do it for me if needs be. My Dad has used the same 2 mechanics for years now so I'll try those guys too.

Stick with the guys you know.

• Advertisement

she's off tomorrow to be looked at! cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Leon11 wrote:
    My Dad has used the same 2 mechanics for years now so I'll try those guys too.
    I'd be very inclined to stick with these guys, rather than a 'mate's friend'.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I know this does sound like a head gasket prob, but believe it or not, the fastest selling clutch in Ireland is the 170MM 3 piece Fiat Punto clutch assembly...

Darragh29 wrote:
    I know this does sound like a head gasket prob, but believe it or not, the fastest selling clutch in Ireland is the 170MM 3 piece Fiat Punto clutch assembly...
    What dose the word "FIAT" actually stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Fix It Again Tony?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fix It Again Tomorrow of course or Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino if you insist!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Fix It Again Tomorrow of course or Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino if you insist!

Mike.
    I was waiting for that one.

Advertisement