Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording in a church

Options
  • 12-04-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

I need to record something in a church, what would be the best way to do it? The best would be something to leave in a corner somewhere just to pick up some songs and such.

I was thinking a dictaphone, but i'm not sure if it'd be clear enough or hold enough. Would an ipod with a microphone be suitable?

I need to do it on saturday, so if there's anything i need to get i've to get it tomorrow. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Howya. Depends on your budget and what sort of quality you need. Do tell us more and we'll advise...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

cornbb wrote:
    Howya. Depends on your budget and what sort of quality you need. Do tell us more and we'll advise...

ok, it's a funeral. The person wants a recording of a relative singing at it. I don't think quality has to be amazing, its just to have something to keep. I'm not sure if it would be best to plug it through a system or have something sitting somewhere recording.

The best type of thing would be something to just set up and ignore.

Budget isn't huge since its really just one use, what would i be looking at?

Is there any other information i can give?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

As you said you might be best off with a dictaphone/ipod and microphone seeing as its a once off thing. If you do do it like this, try to get fairly close to the singer (bearing in mind you need to be discrete) and maybe try to do a soundcheck beforehand if its convenient. You won't exactly get CD quality this way but it'll get the job done. Unless you want to shell out for microphones, soundcards etc I think the only other course of action would be to get a professional or a mate who's into that stuff.

Hope that helps anyway, someone else might be along with more advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

The minidisc format is a popular one for mobile recording...see if you can scrounge a cheap dynamic mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

I have a mini disc player and a mic, would that be a good way to go? I always found that a bit fiddley and was never positive whether it had recorded or not, thats prob just me though! i need it to be foolproof, set and forget kind of thing.

Also, how much do MD's hold? and are they easy to transfer to comp to make a cd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi Gerry, If you have a mini disc recorder with a long play (LP) option it can record up to 320 mins... just check the manual! It's very easy to put on to CD... just record it through the line in on your computer to any recording program, and burn on to CD from there! best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Don't some churches have PA systems in place for the mics?

Maybe if they have one there you could ask if there's a mixer there or something and see if there's a tape output on it that you could connect to your minidisc.

Depends on the church and their setup though I suppose.

Advertisement