Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserved ports - can you use them anyway?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

As long as you have nothing listening on them, there shouldn't be a problem.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it possible to use, say, port 80 on a server for something other than HTTP?
    Could I, if I wanted to for some reason, assign port 80 to VNC or port 22 for online gaming?

Bizarre post-order reversal...
    A not entirely related question - can I tell if someone is connected via ssh to my machine and where the connection originates from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Something like
    netstat -an | grep 22 | grep ESTABLISHED

will show you all the connections established to port 22 (if you're using port 22 for ssh).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

netstat -plan | grep ssh | grep ESTABLISHED will show you all ssh connections on any port (if you're using ssh as the binary name) :-)

Perfect. Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement