Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

On the latest radar seems like a nice little stream of showers. They are heavy but not thundery as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Some red on the radar,of course im in the middle of it between the two:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

darkman2 wrote:
    On the latest radar seems like a nice little stream of showers. They are heavy but not thundery as yet.
    Yes Dublin does look to be in prime position if anything is to come of those showers. They are all passing to the south east of me though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Thunder in SW Dublin, just a rumble this second followed by a bit of light rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

big bolt of lighting her in sw dublin and thunder, heavy rain also.....waiting for more :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Just had a nice flash with thunder less than 2 seconds later out here in Saggart about 5 minutes ago, nothing else since then though.

Actually looks like it clearing up now out to my west.

--
    nem

Bug, you have no idea how much that makes our job easier - Thanks:) So there is thunder on the way then. Bout time! Any lightning you have noticed btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Must be very localised. I got the flash and the rumble but it had been raining very heavy for preceding 5/7 mins. Rain dying away now and brightening up. (Citywest)

Nice convergance - if only it was for daylight hours:(

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=39900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Nothing here - looks like its going to miss wicklow.

The radar shows heavy showers over Dublin and the sky is very dark to my NW.

A

• Advertisement

Thunder here now. Did not see lightning:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Nothing since no rumbling, no lightening. Just raining heavy.

Same here actually. Nothing since. In fact from what I can see the showers may be fading.

Not a sound here.

rc28 wrote:
    Yes Dublin does look to be in prime position if anything is to come of those showers. They are all passing to the south east of me though:rolleyes:

There is always tomorrow:D

darkman2 wrote:
    There is always tomorrow:D
    Ye, the tv weather about 10 mins ago really ramped tomorrow up saying everywhere is likely to see heavy/thundery showers but unfortunately i will be visiting relatives so I wont have access to boards.
    To my SW there are dark clouds very near- I think i will get the edge of it, looks threatning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just started raining here in Portlaoise. Not heavy yet but the few drops that are falling are quite large. Bad looking sky overhead, to the south, southeast and east.

Damn, as I was just typing that last post it's started to really take off now. Pelting it down now and there's hail mixed in with it too, from the looks of things. Expecting flashes and bangs any moment! :D

I just had a look out the window and noticed a large but weak looking cb to my north. The 7pm radar does show some development up there too.

Another bad pulse about to come overhead here that looks thundery. Bad looking sky here too.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, sure enough, according to Snowbie's detector, there was a spark somewhere in the northeast of Laois around the time that last shower started here. A shower which has now stopped as quickly as it started! :rolleyes:

It seems that all these lightning strikes and claps of thunder people are getting around the country are just isolated, once-off kind of things and, apart from up north, doesn't look like any of these isolated ones are going to transform into any kind of bigger, more organised storms.

Thats true aidan,if only the showers formed an hour earlier in the day,things maybe have been a bit different.
    I saw an anvil just off the coast here which will quickly dissipate over water now.
    If that was approaching here from overland, it would have been mature enough to even give a storm even if weak.
    With all the rain around the county here nothing thundery from it over me but up the road darkman had hail and heard a couple of rumbles.

More potential cells developing atm inland according to radar. Quite scattered and isolated though and, yes, the thunder very local I think.

Once again i would describe the sky as looking very messy. Lots of small showers around -dark to the south east, scattered cumulus to the north west with the odd cb visible in the distance. Big fat blobby drops fell here for about 5mins just now.

The thing about these potential cells developing inland, darkman, is that they don't seem to be getting any real chance to develop into something of a more thundery nature. I've been watching the sky on and off through the day here and it is changing literally on a minute-by-minute basis. One minute you see CB's starting to form quite quickly and they look like they're about to unleash all hell any second, a few minutes later it's disipated again and it's fine and sunny again.

And, sure enough, as I speak (or type! :D ) it's started to pelt down again here after some lovely sunshine. What the hell is going on with this bloody country! :D

Arghh, there's a giant telephone over Dublin!
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=fr&map=Europe
    That indicates a cb right?

Right lads, I think I'd better log-off and turn off the old PC right now because this shower that's pelting down here at the moment is really bad and I'm really expecting lightning or something any second from this one. So, just to be safe, I'll say my goodbyes for now and talk to you all later! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

First shower imminent. 2 claps of thunder. Turning off computer. Seems to be just to the NW.

Is lashing now

Latest radar is interesting. The convergance is clearly further south now across ther North Midlands.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Tis a grand evening here, plenty of clouds about, but none that look threatening :rolleyes: ...........maybe tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement