Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    Latest radar is interesting. The convergance is clearly further south now across ther North Midlands.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    Look to your west dm and see the anvil,must be over meath somewhere.The height has maxed out and is well matured.Picking up lightning from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snowbie wrote:
    Look to your west dm and see the anvil,must be over meath somewhere.The height has maxed out and is well matured.Picking up lightning from it.
    Yep, its north west of me, see my pics below.

It's definitely kicking off to the north now. There is a huge hefty looking shower to my north west, here are some pics:
    P1000856 (Large).JPG
    P1000858 (Large).JPG
    P1000863 (Large).JPG
    P1000867 (Large).JPG
    edit:Very sure I heard distant thunder off it, is there much on your detector snowbie?

rc28 wrote:
    It's definitely kicking off to the north now. There is a huge hefty looking shower to my north west, here are some pics:
    P1000856 (Large).JPG
    P1000858 (Large).JPG
    P1000863 (Large).JPG
    P1000867 (Large).JPG
    edit:Very sure I heard distant thunder off it, is there much on your detector snowbie?
    Thats i think is to your WNW of you?I tried to take a pic of it but the sun was interfering.Looks as if its coming your way.
    A couple of strikes over the meather area alright as well as to my SW.

Snowbie wrote:
    Thats i think is to your WNW of you?I tried to take a pic of it but the sun was interfering.Looks as if its coming your way.
    A couple of strikes over the meather area alright as well as to my SW.
    Its moved to my nw now but I dont think i will get it, they aren't travelling from nw to se? I went out a few mins ago again and the clouds have changed shape a lot:
    P1000870 (Large).JPG
    P1000875 (Large).JPG

Edit 21:03
    That shower appears to have really died in last while as there is no definition to it's cloud tops anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some ominous clouds to my north, hoping for some measurable rain here :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Please no more thunder pics here..my 56k can't handle it..maybe a thunderstorm pics tread instead?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Please no more thunder pics here..my 56k can't handle it..maybe a thunderstorm pics tread instead?
    I just attached my pic- it doesn't show up unless you click it. I did it this way because I know there are lots of people still on dial up. I think everyone should be made to do it that way.

rc28 wrote:
    I just attached my pic- it doesn't show up unless you click it. I did it this way because I know there are lots of people still on dial up. I think everyone should be made to do it that way.

Was replying to highdef m8. Its tidied up now anyhow so no probs.

rc28 wrote:
    Cheers:)
    As suggested in my OP,keep pics attached for this reason.
    We all use dial up at one stage and know the story.

Safe to say there is a weak storm over offaly atm and now another strike in Meath.Any input there rc28.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Cheers:)
    As suggested in my OP,keep pics attached for this reason.
    We all use dial up at one stage and know the story.

Safe to say there is a weak storm over offaly atm and now another strike in Meath.Any input there rc28.
    I've been inside and wasn't paying attention to listening out for thunder so that's why I haven't heard anything. i had a look outside just there though and can't see much to my west, nw and n anymore but to my south and sw there are much darker clouds. What part of meath is the activity in snowbie?

I could see the outline of this activity looking north this evening but obviously it must have been only the inactive clouds to the south of it.
    There were some beautiful cb's though-tropical looking and colourfull in the sunset.

I prefer biscay storms as they move north though or the convergence storms from a very hot unstable mid summers day (hotter by far than today).
    You know the big ones with the constant fork lightning and the balls running across the sky,the ones that have the unending distant rumbles that just get louder and louder untill they are over head.
    There were a few of them last summer-A few this summer would be nice.

Was central Meath and Nw.

http://www.irelandlivelightning.info/

Just click run at the top of the page and it shows roughly where a strike is.

Snowbie wrote:
    Was central Meath and Nw.

http://www.irelandlivelightning.info/

Just click run at the top of the page and it shows roughly where a strike is.
    Cheers, that's a good site. Looks like there was a good bit in north central meath- a good bit away from me.

My detector still picking up alot of strikes from that area still,if you look N or NW you may see distant flashes.I suspect you are in Dunboyne Ashbourne area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, as you probably would have guessed, nothing developed from that heavy shower we had in Portlaoise earlier, despite my expectations. Looks like things have been pretty interesting in the Meath area over the past hour or so, judging from Snowbie's detector.

If the weather forecast on the telly earlier is anything to go by, they seem to be suggesting that tomorrow is gonna be the "big one", so to speak, with much more widespread and organised thundery showers / storms. What do all you weather experts on here think, is tomorrow more likely to live up to the promise than today did?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

dont think we will have to wait till tommorow. here in cavan lightning and thunder every few seconds and a big scary looking sky:eek:

rc28 this is my live shot of my software i will see a strike when it occurs straight away,what you see on my site is the stormvue java applet which reloads every 60 seconds.
    Still going strong up in the north of your county and cavan.

Snowbie wrote:
    rc28 this is my live shot of my software i will see a strike when it occurs straight away,what you see on my site is the stormvue java applet which reloads every 60 seconds.
    Still going strong up in the north of your county and cavan.
    Cheers for that, I'm between Dunshaughlin and Dunboyne. I was out about half an hour and couldn't see or hear anything-just threatning looking clouds.
    Does that pic you posted update automatically or is it just a still jpg?

Its just a snapshot of what i can see,its a live display on my screen though.
    Unfortunately the site i upload is at its lowest loop at 60seconds refreshing,so its near real time as i can get it.

All has gone quiet now last strike 8mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Today is going to be very wet. I think we will see very heavy rain but whether it will be thundery or not is impossible to tell.

Meterireann are ramping today up:D -"severe thundery downpours with the risk of localised flooding". I'm still surprised that yesterdays floods didn't make the news more as Donegal was badly affected too, not just NI. I've noticed on the radar that there's a constant stream of heavy rain from last night into today, there's going to be very serious flooding if they get a repeat of those deluges.

Look at the clump off the south coast atm,see what happens to that when it hits the land.
    Little sun today for surface warming so relying on instability over land and any convergence to get showers going today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

What's goin on in terms of wind direction today, does anyone know just looking at the radar, there's a cell moving north-west across Glway and a cell moving north-east in the Irish sea, is there a convergance zone somewhere in the midlands?
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

There is a change in wind direction for today with a shift to the east NE later.Westenr areas have a SE wind while here were still SW atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Is the rain just starting to fall on the South coast to become enhancned and heavier as it moves north?, as it's already fairly heavy on the south east coast to start with. Keeping on eye the rainfall radar can be my physics study for tomorrow:p

Many showers have just appeared on latest radar, here drops keep randomly falling from the sky with more persisitent light rain at times. Metoffice have a warning out for NI again.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Puzzled by the radar for Co. Cork. Just going out with my coffee onto the patio. Sky is not promising much in the way of storms at the moment.

sunset wrote:
    Puzzled by the radar for Co. Cork. Just going out with my coffee onto the patio. Sky is not promising much in the way of storms at the moment.
    Its when they hit land there starting to pep up.As i said earlier surface warming is at a minimum today so instability over land is the key here and so far its working producing showers widely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I actually dont think the wind will go onshore at all during daylight hours so we certainly have a chance of storms here. I expect them, like yesterday to start breaking out soon. Not as intense but the convergence zone is across the middle of the country so we have a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement